I Forge Iron

Peen Radius...

Been looking at all the different patterns of hammers lately and was wondering....is the fat, chunky peen radius alot better for moving metal or is the thinner-styles better?....minus the coldshuts of course
I'm sure flattening the ridges from a 5/8" peen would be easier than that of a 3/8", but is it just in what you prefer?

What about peen radius compared to different weights of hammers?...1.5 lb compared to 3 lb?

Don't burn me down too bad folks...I'm still learning here :-)

For me the radius of the peen I'm using depends on why I'm using the peen.

The when I'm making stock longer I try to use the horn of my anvil and an a fairly fat peen

When I'm spreading stock wider i usually try to use a fairly narrow peen like that of my peddinghaus swedish. ( I try to thin the middle before I work the edges.)

In total "It all Depends Olie" I have half a dozen hammers and would be thought of as being a little short on hammers by many smiths. I have one hammer that is my favorite and that is the one I use most often.

Find a hammer that suits your hand and work with it. It is more important to know your hammer in you muscles and your eye than what the exact shape is.

Edited by Charlotte
spelling

Rule of thumb? Don't have it under the ball of the hammer during impact.
(Heh. Couldn't resist...don't kill me)

Oh shame on you Demetrius, shame shame shame! You've spilt the beans and deprived someone of one of the true learning experiences of the craft, not to mention depriving us of a good laugh. :rolleyes:

Frosty