I Forge Iron

Now what do I do with it?

Ran to a piece of luck today. I went to a new, for me, steel yard. It is some 80 miles there and back for me so I'd never checked them out before.
In the course of chatting up one of the owners I happened to ask him what the "story" was on some small flat bar laying off to one side out in the open.

He said that it was "surplus" ordered for a customer and not shipped. I got my order loaded and asked him what the size was. It was 5/8x3/16 hot rolled 20 ft pieces and around 100 pieces. He said he would sell it to me for thirty cents a pound.

Yes it is an odd size but it is a size typical of many light weight window guards and decorative porch iron work. Since I was driving my car I couldn't pick it up right then but I think I will a few dozen pieces at a time.

Got any Ideas . I'm thinking fan pattern trellis, gates, railing, and...?
One thing about this stuff is that it is rusted but not pitted. Rusted is good, pitted is only good in big stuff.

Edited by Charlotte
insert left out word

Sounds like a good deal - if you can afford it right now and have the storage. Uses for it's ... odd size ... will start cropping up all over.

It would be a good size for handles for pots/pans/frypans/grills/comals. And for splitting the ends for forks. Colonial style meat skewers. Colonial style grills. Scotch broilers. Even simple things like tent stakes. Plus those window frames/grates. Riveted lattice work. How about some ... woven baskets? Lots of possibilities.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands