I Forge Iron

metalworking industry in rural Java - book

nett

Thank you for the heads up! I will be looking for this. As a sometime student of anthropology and sociology I know that there is a lot great information locked up in dissertations that never sees the Light of day.
We often forget that people in living in more primitive circumstances are just as ingenious is doing their work as we would be in the same place. There is always something to be learned from the cleverness of others. I have often regretted the arrogance and ethnocentrism of my european ancestors. We have lost so much that we are now struggling to recover.

Edited by Charlotte
spelling

Coincidentally,i've just finished reading this very dissertation(most of the 1000-some pages of it,anyway).It is,indeed,quite interesting,though i found it disappointing(as per usual),how the little interest the author manifests toward the particulars of metalworking.It is the old,seemingly unbridgable gap betwixt the academia and the empiricist.
Too bad,the two have a world to gain from a closer mutual exchange.
The original is also becoming outated by now,possibly the new published version deals with that.

Let me get this straight... Glenn, changed the long drawn out title that had nothing to do with smithing, and renamed it to a more correct term, so then you get bent out of shape and delete the link completely, and replace it with Gibberish?

that is supposed to help us all HOW?

Edited by steve sells
typos

Pardon me, your biases are showing.
Last edited by nett; Today at 12:41 PM. Reason: Editing subject line by admin/moderatorsfrom original published material without stating reasons is cheesy and disingenuous.

The deleted material

Political Tickler - CNN
Book written by Obama's mother to be published
The book is based on Ann Dunham's 14-year research on the metalworking industry in rural Java, an island in Indonesia. Two anthropologists are revising and editing her dissertation into a book, called "Surviving Against the Odds: Village Industry in Indonesia." Read the rest of the article ---> click here.
The entire copyrighted article was copied and pasted from CNN to IForgeIron. This is against CNN rules and the IForgeIron Guide Lines.

The complete article title used by CNN was copied and used as the title for the thread on IForgeIron. Book written by Obama's mother to be published has nothing to do with blacksmithing and would attract little interest from a blacksmithing site. In fact it would appear as if it were a political post, which is against the IForgeIron Guide Lines. I read the article and made an administrative decision that Metalworking industry in rural Java - book was much more appropriate and would create more interest and views from the site.

I looked these up just to be sure we were using the same definitions.

Cheesy, Ref Merrian-Webister Dictionary
Shabby, Cheap

Disingenuous, Ref Merrian-Webister Dictionary
Lacking in candor; giving a false appearance of simple frankness

candor, Ref Merrian-Webister Dictionary
1 whiteness, brilliance
2 freedom from prejudice or malice : fairness
4: unreserved, honest, or sincere expression

You say Editing subject line by admin/moderators from original published material without stating reasons is *shabby, cheap, giving a false appearance of simple frankness, lacking in sincere expression.*

Editing ONLY A THREAD TITLE makes the flow of information much easier and faster, which is the function of a site administrator. No reasons need to be given for preforming those functions. If you need reasons, read the reasons listed earlier in this post.

Yes my biases are showing.
Instead of immediately deleting the thread as being political, I took the time to read the reference, found the information to be valid and indeed metal related, and then reworded the title to draw more attention to the post. I took the time to rebuild the deleted material and restore the integrity of the thread. Then I replied to your post explaining my desire to promote your opinions by increasing traffic to your post. You are correct, that is a bunch of biases, and they certainly show.

Coincidentally,i've just finished reading this very dissertation(most of the 1000-some pages of it,anyway).It is,indeed,quite interesting,though i found it disappointing(as per usual),how the little interest the author manifests toward the particulars of metalworking.It is the old,seemingly unbridgable gap betwixt the academia and the empiricist.
Too bad,the two have a world to gain from a closer mutual exchange.
The original is also becoming outated by now,possibly the new published version deals with that.

Thank you for your information. I am more interested, than previously, in reading the work.

I don't think that it is an unbridgeable gap between academia and "the empiricist" but a strong cultual bias that prevails in the "soft sciences" against training in "hard sciences." While working on my degrees I often found myself impatient with lack of chemical, physical, mathematical, and engineering knowledge evidenced by Professors in Sociology, Anthropology, Political, and Economic science.

It is fashionable to be ignorant of the practical everyday facts of our existence. One of the great things about blacksmithing is that our materials and process continually ground us in mundane necessities of physical existance.