I Forge Iron

mankel forge

SoCal Dave

I saw a used Mankel three burner forge yesterday that was for sale. $750.00
I know nothing about Mankel forges. It was open on three sides with a small blower. Having only started in blacksmithing one year ago, I am looking for a good propane forge, but wonder if it is more forge than I need and a three burner will surely suck up the propane. I'm sure it will get metal hot fast.

Any info on mankel forges would help.

Dave,
I would credit Ken Mankle with making the modern propane forges a reality. I have a Mankle Horseshoers special+4 that is over 30 years old and still used regularly (of course thats much like owning an ax that belonged to Abe Lincoln - it's had two new heads and eight new handles -- my forge has been converted from blower to atmospheric and has many new linings - the outer covering is still original, the valves are original). I believe Ken is retired now, but his forges are still being sold by Will Lent Horseshoeing Supplies. That said, the one you're looking at is overpriced. Will Lent lists it new at $865 and a two burner knifemakers special at $685. Just Google on Mankle forges or Will Lent Horseshoeing.

For that matter Ken probably would be happy to talk to you 616-874-6955.

I have a Mankle 3 burner air blown forge I bought on EBay for $250....it was hardly ever used and came with a real nice cart. It definitely is a big gas forge so if you're not going to be heating up large pieces, it's a bit overkill. They are real nice forges though I wouldn't pay over $500 for a used one.

• 3 months later...

Not knowing what you plan to be forging makes it hard to say if this would be a good forge for you.

Like me asking if this sports car would be a good one to get without telling you if I need a dump truck, a 5 child carrier, or just something to blow off steam on weekends.

mankel design..
i like that i can stick a piece of plate, or a corner of a gate or adj a large scroll or reduce the cavity to heat up a billet or long and thin or whatever....two bits of steel in a narrow gassy kept me on the hammer flat out. i hate work but it can keep workers busy.