I Forge Iron

Update on my elbow surgery

ladysmith

As many of you knew, I had surgery on my elbow to take out the chip and fix the nerve.

Long day (~12 hrs), but it seems like it was a success. My arm is now in a cast style brace, wrapped, and in a sling, so I have no idea what it looks like. They gave me the option of general anasthesia or a nerve block. But since they wouldn't let me watch, I opted to sleep through it....then slept the whole way home, and the rest of the night.

The pain is about what it was before. I plan to go back to work Monday, and just type left handed. With luck, this is the start of getting back to blacksmithng.

Thanks all of you who kept me in your prayers,

Pam

• 4 weeks later...

Crackers,

As far as anyone can determine, my elbow problem was caused at work rather than blacksmithing. It didn't really start bothering me until after the demo season ended.

I had been using a big leather hammer to pound large pins into the frames of those huge road rollers you see at construction sites. The best they can figure is the constant sideways pounding using a hammer with no rebound, caused my elbow to probably grow a bone spur, which then chipped off. Unfortunately, there were some "gender issues" with my boss that caused me to be a stubborn fool, and ignore the pain to prove I could not only do the same amount of work as anyone on the other shifts, but do more. I'm now paying the price for that foolishness. Fortunately, I got off that line, and now have wonderful supervisors.

The bone spur even as a chip would have been a fairly mild problem, but the doctor's were treating me for a bad case of tendonitis. It took the 4th doctor looking at one of the 1st xrays to see the (suprisingly large) chip. By that point almost 6 months had gone by, and the chip had been tearing up the nerves.

But it seems to be on the mend, and they say that in about 2 months, I'll be able to get off light duty, if not yet get back to blacksmithing. I'll miss the demo season at the park, this year, but should be back at it next year.

While I am stubborn about pretty much everything, I'm not usually that foolish....at least not often...much...lol ;)