I Forge Iron

Claw Hammer

John Martin

Well, tonight while I was making some split crosses I decided to make a claw hammer for myself. So I took an axle piece (hex) that was 1" wide, and forged it down to 3/4" sq stock. Then proceeded to make this claw hammer. Even though it looks ugly, it works really well. Learned a lot doing this, next bunch will be really easy. Also learned where to put the eye next time, hehe. Anyhow, here are pictures of the key chain cross fobs, and the hammer.

13902.attach

13903.attach

13904.attach

13905.attach

13906.attach

13907.attach

Most excellent John.

The next one will be REALLY easy?

You put a big fat smile on my face every time you show your work, especially something like this hammer. The cross is lovely but the hammer is what makes me smile.

Well done.

Frosty

Frosty, on the next one, I'll make the eye, make the face, then draw the claw end out, shape it over the horn, cut with my bandsaw and use a 1/8" angle grinder wheel to put the V in the curve, it'll be easy compared to this one, lol.

Thanks Art, very glad to see you on here again, I take it all is well with your mother now?

Best Regards,
John

Instead of the bandsaw, use a hot cut chiseldown the centre for the claw end, this will give you a nice tapered edge on the split to allow you to get under nailheads when you lift them, curve it after splitting. (make sure you curve it in the right direction) No need for the angle grinder then.

Instead of the bandsaw, use a hot cut chiseldown the centre for the claw end, this will give you a nice tapered edge on the split to allow you to get under nailheads when you lift them, curve it after splitting. (make sure you curve it in the right direction) No need for the angle grinder then.

Exactly, the hot chisel will make that nice angle cut all the better for getting under nail heads.