I Forge Iron

W series or O series?

new guy

ok this weekend i cracked the cleaver i was making my mom when i quenched it. that i chalk up to only normalizing it once before i quenched it. although i did make a nifty skinner from the chunk i cut out when i made the tang.

this was an old leaf spring at non magnetic. i quenched in 180 degree water. it was a heavy blade so i thought i could get a way with hot water. it was a tiny hairline crack that i nearly missed but i checked just beacause you mention cracking a blade. i could have saved the blade but i chose not to bacause i do not feel like it was worth the risk of having a cracked knife (even a wall hanger it was probably going to be used once or twice).

If you just want to bang away and you say your goal is to make a wall hangar, and you want money to pay Mom off for the anvil ,,,why not use mild steel and cut out the problems? Mild will allow you all the practice you need to do and raise the % of success in your work. That is always a good thing. And it is not a j hook :)

Edited by Rich Hale

actually steve i do not have oil. and that was the first knife i have had fail in the quench. also the guy i got it from was a fellow smith and said somthing along the lines of 'if it is just above critical it will work 90% of the time.' and it worked for m skinner (a thinish blade). it was just me not normalizing. i learned the hard way on that and normalized my skinner twice not once. also Mr. hale i made serveral knife like objects in mild steel. i wanted something i could use and i use what i have.

actually steve i do not have oil. and that was the first knife i have had fail in the quench. also the guy i got it from was a fellow smith and said somthing along the lines of 'if it is just above critical it will work 90% of the time.' and it worked for m skinner (a thinish blade). it was just me not normalizing. i learned the hard way on that and normalized my skinner twice not once. also Mr. hale i made serveral knife like objects in mild steel. i wanted something i could use and i use what i have.

IF you say so... what do I know Edited by steve sells

well. yeah you guys are right. but i got free steel and it was a decent lesson. i need to get oil, for sure, but look to me 90% is pretty decent considering i am a noob. also my time is not worth a cent me not being a pro in all. but thanks for the posts. and when i mean cracked i mean i was not even sure if it was scale flaking off or if it was a real crack. better to be uber safe than uber sorry. i guess i sound upity for a 15 yr old (i am a teen after all!) :)

Edited by new guy
just to rephrase some stuff

i do have access to a ton (by a ton i mean severel hundred gallons) beacause i know an auto repair shop owner. but i am not allowed to have motor oil in the yard. gettin veggie oil is pushing it. i got a gallon for $6.88 (with tax). not cheap (to me) but i can use it for more than just a quenchant. thanks for the posts!