I Forge Iron

Marble/Granite for handles

Got some 6 million year old marble slabs today from Brazil. a friend of mine knows a guy who is remodeling a house with this stuff. cost a few hundred bucks a tile. anyone ever use this before or any suggestions. thought it would be the same as working with jade or turquoise. (bad speller) any thoughts.

"Got me a 6 million year old rock here", I said to the geologist. "How do you know it is 6 million years old?", he said. "Found it in a 6 million year old bed of rock", I said. "How do you know the rock bed is 6 million years old?", he said. "It had a 6 million year old rock in it", I said.

Bob

I think the 6 mil yr old tag was to let us know that it was a properly aged rock, and not NEW rock like from Mt St. Helen's, or that one up Frosty's way in Alaska, as we all know it takes more than a few weeks to age stone for the nice colors and patterning in the Granite that we expect from a quality vintage volcano flow

Edited by Moderator42

Speaking of old rocks, how old do you think that meteor fragment might be? I would not be surprised if estimates came back in the BILLIONS of years old. Of course, the iron in the earth was formed in exploding stars just like the meteors were so who knows. As Carl Sagen said: "we are all made of star stuff".

I have NO clue, how many thousands of centuries that nickel/iron rock was moving through space before it exploded over Argentina. Just as its funny how granite develops over time, marble with its banding colors. Its just something to think about. Not my field of study at all, but to think that these items we view as so nice and solid, were at one time very fluid. The marble was mud and sediment; the granite, parts of lava flows, just interests me to think about.

• 4 months later...

I used to work at Home Depot. They have some very beautiful marble tiles for fairly cheap (per tile anyway). You can buy them one at a time. You can even go through thier pile and find a broken one and ask them for a 75 percent discount. Should be enough in a broken tile for at least one knife.

Mutt

Do you have a Geiger counter? Some of the Brazilian granites are more radioactive than normal. A bunch of counter tops got pulled out of installs recently due to this.

The granite will be a bit harder to work than the marble due to the quartz content. Marble also stains, so you may want to seal it.

Turquoise is very soft compared to granite. A lot of the turquoise that is coming in from China is low grade and has been stabilized to keep it together. A good grade of turquoise isn't cheap.

Look into a local gem and mineral society. My group has a nice lapidary shop, and I have thought about stone handles, or inlays myself.

We have quite a few Leaverites, and Indian Love Stones here.

• 1 year later...