I Forge Iron

Brass?

FieryFurnace

Just buy some brazing rod and clip what you need.

Or search out one of the metal suppliers like Principle or Admiral, I don't know if they carry casting metals but I'm sure they'd tell you who does. A search of the metal casting forum's (not sure what it's called) supplier's list would probably be faster and easier.

Frosty

The blacksmith that I saw at the fest this past weekend specializes in historic locks. A lot of them are brazed together with brass filings. He just dumps some borax and filings on, melts it, and cleans off the extra. I was just wanting some, to do that with so I don't need specific sizes. If there was a supplier somewhere that sells the shavings that would be great. Right now I am collecting the wires that come off my brass brush but that is very slow accumulation.

Dave

That's an easy one, any old brass casting should do. Avoid machined brass as it often has a little lead in it for easy machining. A broken faucet and a wood rasp will give you enough brass for a few decades. Same for a piece of brazing rod, just rasp off whatever you need.

If you have an extra brass brush take the tin snips to the most worn one.

Copper works too but takes higher heat. The really cool thing about using copper is when it cools it matches the color of steel if you don't pickle it.

Frosty

Copper works too but takes higher heat. The really cool thing about using copper is when it cools it matches the color of steel if you don't pickle it.

Frosty

The demonstrator tried copper but since he was working off a small number of tools, borrowed forge, and jewlry anvil he was unable to braze his lock properly. Then he went to brass. I kind of like the look of the brass mixed in the steel. And since there is an if in "if you don't pickle it" I'd pickle it! LOL:rolleyes:

Dave

find a machine shop, they saw brass shapes and also machine brass, if they are penny pinchers like me, they will keep the brass shavings seperate from their steel shavings to sell. In fact I have a small cardboard box full of brass shavings, email me or PM me with an address and I will send you some.