I Forge Iron

2nd Knife finished

Meisenmann

Hi folks,

After my first KnifeShapedObject and my first knife, I finished my second one sometime ago...

It is forged of 1.2842 (C 0,9 Si 0,1-0,4 Mn 2,0 Cr 0,2-0,5) and Bubinga with a try at wire inlay with silver.

Well, I am not really satisfied with it, but I guess at my current "experience level" it is quite okay. I can't really make an exact bevel when sharpening by hand and waterstones. It always ends up as a quite convex grind (even though it gets sharp, it doesn't look that good to me this way).

messer2bild1.th.jpg

messer2bild2.th.jpg

Nice Work, would not mind having it at my side one little bit.

Convex/concave? It is a matter of taste to me. On my personal knives I sharpen with the intent of producing a slightly convex edge. The extra material provides, in my opinion, a little extra support for very edge.

I always strop my knives on oil tanned leather impregnated with jewlers rouge. The extra polish seems to make the knife cut better.

This is just my belief and personal taste. There may be scientific and technical knowlege that refutes this but...

good knife. beat my first knife. at least its straight. i think that a pice of heay shoe/heel leather from a cobbler works fine as a strop. you don't need oil but it is faster with oil. good job anyway. nice sheath. did you actually make it? or did you buy it?

1) Ditto what everyone else said. That is one good looking knife. I am a moderator on a site for people who are trying to recreate JRR Tolkein's Middle Earth rangers. With the shape, the lack of a high gloss finish and the inlay, that looks like something we would love to carry into the woods with us. My first knife has Bubinga handle slabs. Beautiful wood.

2) I'm glad to hear you're not happy with it. That will drive you to wow us with your second knife. As good as this one looks, I look forward to seeing your next one!

Thanks everyone :-)

@ new guy

No, made the sheath myself, it is also my second attempt at a leather sheath ^^

@ Ecart

I am afraid there will be much time between this and my next knife (well, there is a small one part-finished, that could be finished in some weeks). Problem is, while being at university, I can't forge anything. Only during the holidays :(

Thanks everyone :-)

@ new guy

No, made the sheath myself, it is also my second attempt at a leather sheath ^^

@ Ecart

I am afraid there will be much time between this and my next knife (well, there is a small one part-finished, that could be finished in some weeks). Problem is, while being at university, I can't forge anything. Only during the holidays :(

I understand that completely. The day job does tend to get in the way of forge time. But that's the good thing about the lay-off schedule I'm on. As long as the weather is cooperative, I get to work outside in the forge for a while every other week.

Well, it is my second sheath. My first one is my past experience in leather working ;)

For the first one I used the wrong leather, it was too thin and didn't have the "hard stuff in between" (for lack of an english term for it...), which ended in the sheath getting looser and looser.

This time it was more coarse leather (soaked it in water to work with it), I applied linseed oil and beeswax like the last one. This leather gets way more sturdy.

I would really like to be able to do the stitches the scandinavian way (like on these puukko sheaths), but for the moment I have to be content with this type until I get the hang of the other technique.

But it makes me very happy that you like it :)