I Forge Iron

Here is a different take......

I'd love to see that chain wrap up on the eccentric, from a far bit away.. I love how the dies are mis-indexed as far out of phase as technically possible. It takes a bit of stretch to have the gumption to try and sell a train wreck like that, I hope we don't know that person, and I really hope no one buys it thinking it can be used..I'll be quiet now.

The use of sewing machine clutch motor is an interesting twist though.:cool: I was a little concerned about the chain also but it may work just fine. It does look a little strange with the crossed dies, that one I just don't understand. I'll wait for Frosty's comment on the contraption before I'm too critical.

I would give that hammer a 5 x 5 guarantee, 5 minutes or 5 hits which ever comes 1st.
Don't know how long that weld holding the dovetail to the tup will last, not long, I feel.
The shaft across the top is a little light to. Funnily massey used to rate their 1CWT hammer in slides as capable of forging 2" square effectively, yet this bloke feels his will handle 4" square. Amazing, I wonder if I scale it up by say x 10 can I have a hammer to forge 18' square.
Phil

With a chain, it's got to be gravity. Ever hear the phrase "Can't push a rope"? I suspect it was to allow for different height stock and top tools. He kind of refers to this when talking about a rigid arm. But if you switch to a rigid connection, you would need a good spring linkage (not an internal spring), and for more than allowing height adjustments.

So as a gravity device, this is basically a drop hammer, right? Drop hammers are OK, but only if they have some hefty hammers, which this isn't. There's no way this will do 220 BPM. The hammer will slam against the guide once this got to any speed at all, and bounce down, until it just fractures apart. So don't worry about the chain. Once the guide splits apart, that hammer is sailing.

I don't get the logic with the misaligned dies, though. I just can't think of any good reason, or even some warped reason, for that one. This really looks like an engineering attempt that didn't get thought all the way through - or even get 10 minutes of Internet cruise time for ideas. And I think his "spec" of being able to handle 4" is just the space between the bottom and top die. So it can handle 4", but not really do anything with it.

But, it ended without a sale at $51. If you're local and don't need to ship, you've got a base plate, a support which looks hefty enough, what could be a solid anvil, bearings, and a motor for whatever his reserve price was. And some decent dies and blocks, too. Maybe a good deal for part of a hammer kit.

Edited by Marc