I Forge Iron

Best Book on Knife making

freebird914

I also highly recommend "The Master Bladesmith" and "The Pattern Welded Blade" as well as the 2 VHS tapes on Pattern welded blades. If you really want to make knifes these resources will save you time and money. At the price of steel today, if you can eliminate some of your mistakes you have recovered the cost of the books and tapes quite rapidly, and I like the way Dr. Jim writes. I understand what he is saying. I cannot say that about some of the other bladesmithing authors.

"If you could chose only one book on Knife making what book would you recommend"

I'd recommend you decide what type of knifemaking you want to do and then ask about *that*!

I consider the good Dr's bladesmithing books to be very important references and the best out there for bladesmithing; *BUT* if all you are interested in is stock removal multibladed folding knives it is not the book for you.

Sort of like asking the same about car repair and not telling us you are not interested in anything but model T's or diesels...

Thomas

I've bought a number of smithing books, but nothing compared to spending a day with a master smith. I paid for a day of lessons and it did more for my bladesmithing than many, many hours of reading and studying. As far as books go, I really like Wayne Goddard's books. He has two of them out on knifemaking. Todd

Thanks for the advice... The style of knives I am interested in making at this time, are something along the straight blade types and then a set of kitchen knives.... more for use around the home ,,, There's just something about something you build yourself that makes it more worhtwhile.. Thanks for all the inputs

For the folks that have been working hot metal for a long time and are moving into blades I believe the books listed above are right at the tops. However if you aer new to forgeing and that is how you wish to make knives, maybe the very best book on knives is not a book on knives. Maybe it is a basic blacksmithing book. Think about that..You have a bar of steel in the fire and hammer in hand, When you bring it to the anvil it should be a clear well trained move that shapes the metal. Your work should be done in a trained muscle memory action. When you put the keys in a door do you really think aboit it? You might glance to see which key but the rest is muscle memory and practice. Forgeing can be like that. Any kind of forgeing can be like that. Students I have worked with as beginners have trouble holding items with tongs. They also need work on body position and mechanics. It takes some time to learn these skills. Do you know how high your anvil should be? how to hold a hammer? which hammer does what to metal when you strike it? do you know how to position your body for most effective and injury free work? These will let you know if you are ready for a knife book.....enjoy

Well said, Rich. I am a novice, but have done much research into blacksmithing and bladesmithing. I have numerous books on both topics. Recently, as I watched a master smith forge a blade, I was amazed to see how much of it was blacksmithing skills and techniques. I fully agree with your points on this. The two crafts should go hand in hand. Todd