I Forge Iron

Flowers

I have worked on several flower projects over the last year or two that I thought I would share.

The Calla Lillies were made as a memorial for my Great Grandmother.

The tulips are all hand hammered from 10 guage plate as is the "vase."

The sunflowers stand about 5 foot tall and again are made from 10 guage plate.

Your comments and thoughts would be appreciated.

John

13311.attach

13312.attach

13313.attach

13314.attach

thanks for sharing the work - i love the sunflowers and also the memorial flowers - like how youve fitted them together like a jigsaw at the bottom. what is the finish on the sunflowers ? are they untreated or is that a orange colored coating its hard to see...

Thanks guys.

I use a lot of 10 guage when making ranch and business signs so I have a lot of drops left around. I have been trying to turn the drops into $$$! With no power hammer...it buts the elbow to work, but the customers like them.

My Scotch/Dutch heritage makes it hard for me to throw anything away!

I rusted the sunflowers with muratic acid and bleach. It gets the rust started nicely and then over time it turns into a deep red rust.

I use a pump sprayer that is usually used for spraying weeds and bugs for the muratic acid. I spray the piece completely and let it soak for a half hour or so. Then I spray the piece with bleach.

NOTE>>>>> do all this outside and stay up wind. You DO NOT want to breath the fumes.

Again let the bleach soak for a while then lightly spray with water. You may have to spray it water a couple times.

It gives a nice finish and can be clear coated if desired

• 1 month later...