I Forge Iron

New steel

This is the the first time I need to get new metal,and I wanted to get some ideas.What I'm looking at is making about 10-15 S-hooks out of 1/4 square,with a single twist in the center.Would 1018 be good for this? It's the cheepest I can find at .72 a foot.

This is the the first time I need to get new metal,and I wanted to get some ideas.What I'm looking at is making about 10-15 S-hooks out of 1/4 square,with a single twist in the center.Would 1018 be good for this? It's the cheepest I can find at .72 a foot.

I would use HR A36 round for two reasons:

1.) 1/4 square is all most always cold rolled, costs more, and is not availabe from most local suppliers.

2.) The appearence of the hooks will be improved by the simple act forging it square. With size of 1/4 this is a quick and easy task.

Thats why I was having trouble finding it in a36!I thought 1018 would be to much for what they are to be used for but I wasn't sure.I use mostly junkyard steel so I'm still trying to learn the basic steel numbers.I'll give it a try with the round and let you all know how it turns out.Thanks again

hum... i have no problem getting 1/4 sq in hr ... ive also used the cr for stuff andas long as you heat all of it (so it all scales up) it dosent look bad... 72 cents a foot seems a little expencive to me but i know it varyies with location .. my last purchase ran 7 dollars a 20 ft leingth for hr and that was way up from last year... still fairly inexpencive tho compared to what you can make (and sell ) with it...

I too can buy 20' HR 1/4" sq stock though I have to buy it from a dealer 2 hours away. Same town as my parents live in so I stock up every time I visit.

Don't pay for CR or 1018 if you don't need it! Widen your search pattern.

Course I'm cheap so I keep a hacksaw in the truck to cut the pieces into 4' lengths myself for travel (and when I teach every student gets a 2' length of 1/4" sq to start...)

My last telephone pole of suppliers in Louisiana yielded no HR 1/4.
And Cr 1/4 at great expense by special order.
I was thinking about ordering CR from online metals but the shipping is as much as the material.

Some of the suppliers have also cut down on some other materials.

3/8 square tube has disappeared from the inventories of a number of my suppliers as has 1/2 square tube. One company will order from another location but there is $200 minimum order. And they don't carry HR 1/4.

So if you can get I'm happy for you!

Our local steel supplier said they were no longer able to get hot rolled in the smaller dimensions. I think 3/8 might be the smallest they stock.

I find that the price for 1018 1/4" is higher, but it ain't that bad in the smaller stuff. I'll check my last reciept and see what I am paying here.

Do be sure you locate and buy from a steel supplier and not the "big box" stores. Lowes and Home Depot mark theirs waaayyy up compared to the steel supply.