I Forge Iron

Bush hog blade

stangcrazy85

started heating and really banging on it the other day with a 4 pounder whewww my bam arm let me know to get a smaller hammer as you know i am a beginner but i got it flattend out enough on the one end and rounded it out looks like ittl be a skinner i'll post up some pics later and hopefully you all can guide me through this one day at a time with ideas and comments
Thanks
HAPPY EASTER

Technique counts more than strength when hammering.

Starting out on HC steel with a BIG hammer isn't the way to develop proper hammer technique.

Develop accuracy and hammer control on inexpensive and relatively easy to forge mild steel. Make a slew of smallish letter openers for gifts and when you get to the point you can get the forging knocked out in half an hour with minimum hammer marks you'll have pretty decent control and will be able to forge the tougher steels without killing yourself.

Frosty

jake pogrebinsky has it right. you need a helper 'monkey' or someone to do forging really fast or eficcently. maybe ill recruit someone from my scout troop.... and really for a beginner (like me) i say a 2lb hammer max. unless you also 6'2" and 230 (like me). so go for a small hammer!