I Forge Iron

The attached photos show that the edges of my resurfaced anvil are somewhat jagged. Most text says that most of the edges should be rounded to various radii with perhaps only the heel left sharp. They state that the larger radii should be toward the horn. I intend to do that.

The only fly in the ointment is a rather large divot that is in the middle of the away edge. My concern is that it will, if not repaired, act as a crack propagater. But, it would have to be radiued to at least 1/2". Or I could put a bit of weld in it at our local groups anvil repair session this weekend and then radius it. Or I could put a small radius to take out part and give a smooth edge.

What say y'all?

13119.attach

13120.attach

13121.attach

that looks like a good anvil .. i would not wory to much about that divot especially if it is on the oppisite side of where you forge . the far side isnt used as much unless you have a striker . i would slightly round the edge so there is nothing sharp to cause problems and get to hammering! have fun!

Looks fine to me. Many anvils have been ruined by 'repairs', it's a surprisingly complex and skilled job where few people actually know what they are doing. If you find that you absolutely need a crisp edge, make a hardy tool with one, they have several uses.

I'm not interested in trying to make crisp edges there. This anvil has plenty of those. In fact it needs more rounded spots to work with and I'll be creating those. I agree with everyone that the spot doesn't need to be "repaired" to bring it up to squareness. Also, I'm not really inclined to weld on it.

I'm just concerned about preventing future damage in the same spot. Cracked off areas of metal can harbor residual stress or flakes.