I Forge Iron

chipped vise jaw

I was just given a post vise(what a great day)! The only problem is that center top of one of the jaws has an one inch chip out of it. I was wondering what would be the best way to fix it, if I weld it, what type of welding wire or rod should I use and should I temper the weld to soften it to keep it from chipping again? The chip is along the top of the jaw. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Most post vises are weldable but some may be wrought iron or ductile and so need care and experience in welding them. A fast way to get one back at work is to make jaw covers from angle iron; cutting and folding the ends around to hold them in place on the vise.

I would take care in welding the jaw of that vise. You might not like the result. I would take Thomas Powers up on his suggestion. You can always replace the pads. If you damage the vise with an improper welding procedure, you might not ever forgive yourself. I think it best to err on the side of caution and make yourself a fine pair of pads.