I Forge Iron

Started my blacksmithing class last night

My arm is sore and I woke up from a dream where I was using a drift to make an axe head.
I came home to show my wife the fireplace poker I had made and she was less than enthused.....even though she mentioned that we should get one!

I've had the bug for quite some time, but to suddenly be in a shop where the forge is alight and the tools are just sitting there waiting to be used.....needless to say I was quite enthusiastic during the entire 4 hour session.

Our teacher definitely seems as though he has been smithing and welding for quite some time, and showed us the proper technique for putting a point and taper on some 3/8" square stock.
The assignment was to make a coat hook, but I did a fireplace poker instead.
I think next week I will try for some chisels to use with my lathe.

There are far too many things I want to make now, and am fighting the urge to go out and start buying up tools to set up a smithy here in my yard.

Is there anyone in the Portland, Oregon metro area who would like an enthusiastic helper from time to time?

Anyways.....take care everyone

Iain

Congratulations, and welcome. If you'll go to the User CP and edit your profile to show where you are from, that would be a lot more helpful to connect with people who are from your area. Also, if you go to the IForgeIron Home page you will see a link for Blacksmithing Groups. Try getting hooked up with some groups in your area as well.

Now that the bug has thoroughly infected you, have fun hammering! Maybe those dreams will give you some good ideas to work with.

Good show man! Now ya got the bug hard and it wound let you go until you have your own shop and tools. This will only serve to increase your skill and knowledge, as it will allow you to "practice" when ever you wish. Happy Hammering and good lick

Welcome Iain. It seems that you have got bit by that nasty little old blacksmithing bug. He will be causing many dreams and desires to invade your life for some time to come. As for the better half being somewhat less than enthused, I am sure it won't take you long to convince her otherwise when you present some little trinkets and baubles that you have created by your own hand (roses are always good;)).Also read the post on here on how to sweet talk the finance dept. It cotains some valuable tips on how to get some tools you need to build your own smithy and keep you from having to live in it for a time.:P Good luck and happy hammering.

Terry

I came home to show my wife the fireplace poker I had made and she was less than enthused.

Ha, that is something that I had not even considered. My wife's last name before we were married was Naismith (as in not a smith). She might be difficult to turn.

I'm gonna have to wait until I make something real nice before I show her!

Bill

Hey all, thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.

I did go and update my information so those of you who want to know my location, there it is!

The more that I think about having the facilities to forge metal, and a seasoned professional to help guide the way, there are so many tools and utilitarian things that I have wanted over the years that I can make instead of buy.

Case in point....I recently got a Shopsmith E and have been doing a lot of wood turning with whatever wood chisels I had laying around. They work okay, but I know that proper turning chisels are going to make life a lot easier.

Now I can use those old railroad spikes I've had laying around operating on the notion that if they make good knives, they will also make good chisels? and hammer them into something I will use often.
Saves me $50-100 that I might spend on any decent set that doesn't come from China.

Thanks again for the responses

Iain

Now I can use those old railroad spikes I've had laying around operating on the notion that if they make good knives, they will also make good chisels? and hammer them into something I will use often.
Iain

I've always been under the impression they don't make great knives, and at that only the high carbon ones. Don't know how they'd work for chisels but you could always try :rolleyes: Push comes to shove, you're only out your labour and a spike. When your skills are upto speed you could weld a higher carbon bit into them but I wouldn't try that until you're much better at forge welding as a failed weld at high RPMs = flying projectiles. Not fun if they are sharp and catch you or anyone else

A good source of higher carbon steels are springs, particularily coil, files, and the insides of shocks from cars and trucks to name a few. There are lists of junkyard steels and their common compositions on the site somewhere.