I Forge Iron

Grapevine grill

This is a grill project that I made the beginning of this week. It is 34 inches long and 15 inches high. There is a long bar in a restaurant in town and the grill is to define a small section on the end for the waitresses and their computer. The grapevine is all forge welded then bent to fit into the frame (mortice and tenon frame). I tacked the vine into the frame using a mig on the 4 points that the wrapping goes around. The grapes were forged individually-I think 22 of them- then made into a bundle which I tacked with the mig so I could forge weld them at one time (I've done it before without tacking by just holding 2-4 together with tongs then welding, then taking several clumps and welding those to complete it. I forged and shaped the leaves then welded those to the grapes in the forge. Their are two halves to the grapevine that are forge welded in the center where the long wrap is. That forge weld was last. It is easy to work with the shorter sections until the last weld.

12907.attach

Nice work. You should be proud. That just about hits all of the major blacksmithing processes (drawing, tenoning, riveting, forge welding and a few others). Not only is it useful functionally, it would also be a great talking piece for the question of ,"What kind of things do blacksmiths do?".

Thank you, I love these projects. It has taken a while to get to the point where I feel confident with all the forge welds and the order of constructions on these types of projects. There are ways to design things to help oneself in the construction. I love to design things so that I can use the processes I enjoy in the construction.

Alwin I don`t mean to be the party pooper here you know, but I`m curious about the grape vine term because I never saw grape clusters like those. I guess my comment probably is more scientific (as a Viticulture major) than artistic. On the other hand, that`s art and one may name it at will, right. What about Wild Vine, as there are similar species with berry clusters like those? No offense ok, and let me tell you that your Grape Vine is gorgeous regardless of anything, and I love it ! nelson.

I never saw grape clusters like those.

I have read about this variety. They are exclusive to the south of METALONIA.
They are not eaten. Instead, they are dried, and loaded into large shotgun shells and used to hunt the elusive Giant Metalonia Armored Tree Squirl.
As I understand it, the guns have quite a KICK!