I Forge Iron

new to the block

aortery

Hello every one!
Don't know how often I will be on the site but thought I would say hi. I am trying to make blacksmithing my full time job, mostly because I really enjoy it and also because I no longer have a real job. Any way I am going to find out if I can cut it in Illinois or not. Mostly I am making 18th century stuff and a little art work, no web site yet but hope to work on that soon.
I also put time in at Lincoln's New Salem in the blacksmith shop when ever I can get there.
See you all later, Allen

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! If you are close to Charleston, ILL check out 5Corners Blacksmith Shop. The site is Lorelei Sims - Artist Blacksmith / Welcome to the Vortex of Hot Metal you won't be sorry.
Don't be afraid to ask questions...someone here will give an answer, even if made up;) not really. Great bunch of smiths here and all willing to help. Once again, welcome.

Welcome aboard Allen, glad to have ya.

If you're thinking of going pro as a blacksmith you'll want to seriously consider doing ANYTHING that comes in the door. If the price is right of course. Limiting yourself to a specific time period when trying to get established is a severe handicap. Once you're established, known and have solid a clientele base is the time to try specialization.

Best of luck.

Frosty