I Forge Iron

Anvil geometry

Whenever I'm bang'in iron, I tend to use faces, edges, and surfaces of the anvil that clearly were not intended for such a purpose. Since only the face is typically hardened, most peeople assume that that is the only surface to be pounded. Obviously the face, and bic are the easiest to work on for most effects, but there ARE other surfaces on an anvil. Also, what was the intended use of the holes typically found in the body of anvils? Were those holes strictly intended to aid in the handling of such a weighty piece? I tend to think they were put in there to aid in grabbing the anvil with special tongs during fabrication, but does anyone know of any other specific purposes, such as using them to aid in tying the anvil down to the stand?

There was a BP on using the handling holes of a double horned anvil to deaden the ring. During the spring of the year, if the anvil is idle for a period of time, they are great places for mud dobbers to build nests, spiders to gather, etc.

Sure, I use whatever surface that comes closest to being what I want. I also have no problem letting folk assume what they will so long is they aren't in the line of fire or interfering.

Correctomundo! The sq holes in the body are tong holes for manipulating the anvil during construction. It doesn't mean you can't use them for something else though.

Frosty

Life would be boring if we did not try to find uses for something designed for a specific purpose being used again to our benefit doing something totally different. Whole industries like blacksmithing and recycling (to name a few) could cease to exist if the concept is ever abanoned. Have fun! Be safe!

I am back to cleaning the mud bugs out of my anvil's sq holes, LOL