I Forge Iron

Need an anvil opinion

There's a gentleman in the area that has an anvil for sale. I've taken a look at it before but I'm still up in the air about it. I believe it weighs in around 120lb - it says American Wrought on the side along with horse shoe which might have the words 'made in' in the center. I cannot see any serial number, it's seen a little wear and the one edge has a 4" long chip. Still rings and has good rebound. I believe this anvil is from American Wrought Anvil Co from Brooklyn, which, iirc, sold their anvils through Montgomery Ward catalogues. The gentleman that has it thinks its a real gem and should be worth $4 a lb. I nearly spit when he said that, but he's in his 70's so I was nice. I told him that I'd give him $1.25 a lb and he nearly choked on his dentures. :) Anyway, he's got a sign on it now that says "$295 - #119 - Notice the mark!" I wouldn't mind getting this anvil, he's been sitting on it for 2 years now (stopped by yesterday just to check), and I think I could come back with a reasonable offer and he might accept - especially if I give him the details on the anvil just to make him understand that I am familiar with it. So I ask you all, what's a reasonable price for a 120lb American Wrought Anvil in this condition? (Sorry, no pictures, forgot my camera)

If he wants $295 for a 119 lb. anvil that works out to $2.47 per pound, not unreasonable. Ask yourself how bad is that chip really and can you live with it.
Also consider that you have found this locally and can pick it up, you won't be paying shipping charges to have it sent to you from another state. Heavy things often cost more to ship that the purchase price of the item so that's a big plus for you.
Also consider that anvils for sale do not remain anvils for sale for very long, if you don't buy it now then pretty soon you won't have to worry about it anyway.

If that chip isn't all that bad I'd buy it. If it is more toward being an ugly problem that would impede your use of the anvil then pass on it and keep looking. Just remember that finding anvils is hard enough and finding one available close to home without shipping charges is rarer still.

I have four anvils and my favorite is my american wrought 114 lb. It has the same markings you described, look for a serial number struck into the right front foot.
Mine has a long slender horn that I find very useful compared to my 93 lb. Peter Wright or my 125 lb. Mousehole which both have rather short stubby horns. Mine has great rebound too.

The days of $1 per lb. anvils are gone. These days I see $3 per lb. mostly and this 119 lb. you're looking at would be $357 at $3 per lb. $476 at $4 per lb.
The asking price of $295 for this anvil is fair but consider that chip, I'd offer him $250 at see if he bites. I find folks tend to nod their heads in agreement like bobble head dolls when real live green is waved under their noses. Ask irnsrgn on this forum what it would cost to properly repair this anvil and tell the old timer what irnsrgn quotes.

I suppose the damage is not a huge deal but it's still there. $250 would probably be a reasonable price and I'm sure he'll take it, after all, he has had this thing in his shop for over 2 years! Attached is a diagram showing the damage. I'd still like to see what could be done with it or what problems damage like this could indicate for the future life of this tool.

-J

12695.attach

Were it me, I would walk in with cash for whatever you are willing to pay, plus $30 or $40,
put the cash on the counter.. and bargain.... if it doesn't work out, you can always walk away.. but be nice... you might have to go there again some time..
has worked for me more than once... ...