I Forge Iron

Making my own anvil.

Still making my own anvil, but have done major re-designing, figuring out what I actually need and don't need. Since I already have a normal anvil, I am going to make post anvil now. I still have to weld the face to the body, but this will be easier and will weigh between 150-200lbs. It'll be 4" square, and 32" tall. 30" mild steel body, with 2" thick face plate of 4140. I'll keep you all updated on how this goes. Sorry, if my change of course is drastic, but it makes more sense and is more in my ability range.

Actually i was going to suggest exactly that but didnt think youd want something that didnt " Look" like a typical anvil. Seems much more doable and you could actually harden the face with a coal fire and superquench or something. Make a pulley and chain system to handle the piece and stick it in the fire:rolleyes::rolleyes: Or maybe weld temporary handles so a couple of your buddys could help you.

Sweany, THAT's what I'm talking about!! Sahweeet! Looks like you did basically what I was eluding to in my sketchup drawings above! It appears that you beveled the top rather than the bottom, however :)

Edited by Dodge

the body of the anvil were two 4" test pieces I ran for a weld qualification. they go ina dumpster after they are complete.

I have a smaller anvil in the works. The top will be 2-1/4" square bar off an a cultivator, the draw bars are something like 1080.

It will be very similar to your drawing except the hardy hole will be off one side.
This is easier than making holes in the body and it allows a cam to hold the hardy tool in place.

I was looking at some earlier threads and found Brian Brazeal's homemade anvil and a reference to his Easy Smith 3 anvil design. The homemade anvil had a really interesting design with several fullers and a flat place on the edge of large plate. The large plate was mounted on edge and seemed 2-3 inches wide. I'll figure out what thread that was but it would be any easier approach to a handmade anvil that might inspire some great creativity.

Sweany my friend, that is one homely looking anvil, I bet she works a treat though. Beautiful, just beautiful.

I like your Chinese SS pot forge too and most especially like the dragon BBQ.

I really enjoy seeing improvised tools and equipment for the imagination, vision and such involved.

Frosty