I Forge Iron

where can i get materials for a sheath?

You're probably not going to find it all that cheap. If you want to do it right, it's best to spend the extra money on the proper equipment. Hole punches, stitch punches, sewing awl, blades, rubber mallet, edging tools, rivet setters, glue, waxed thread, leather surface cleaner, dye, resoline or top kote for finish, rivets, snaps, plus leather. I've been doing leather work for 16 years and there's always a quick way to do it and then there's the right way to do it. Leather is an unforgiving medium, it doesn't heal, it shows every misplaced cut, scuff and spill - this is also why leather is wonderful in the way it ages. I have been buying some 6-7oz bellies for about $22 at the Leather Factory. Check and see if there's one in your area. Bellies are about as cheap as you're going to get, scrap leather will often not suit the job and full sides will run you $150 and up for quality. You can also join the wholesale club or the get business prices if you have an ein which will bring your cost down nicely. Good luck, leather is a fun medium but it does take a little practice and well thought out ideas. Also, try making your pattern first on a piece of poster board, will save you frustration!

-J

You can also shop Tandy but be prepared to pay for it. Still, if you're only doing one or two it's often better to pay a premium for just what you need rather than get a good deal on way more than you need.

An awl is something you should be able to forge without trouble and I like a saddle stitch. While it's not ideal, edges can be sanded but any tooling you want to do will require the tools, bought or made.

Leather's fun, enjoy.

Frosty

One tool that's almost a must to buy is a marker wheel for thread holes. I think it may be called a "star" wheel (?), but British Knife Forum has a great thread for leather tools you can make cheap and plentiful. They are made, primarily from heavy nails. To make the thread holes, I just chuck a small finish nail with the head ground off in a drill press. It more or less burns through, but makes a very clean hole.
Bottom line: Don't scrimp on leather but you can acquire a bunch of leather tools "on the cheap" by making your own :)

I would get the waxed thread made for the job. Believe it or not, you could pull a cloth style heavy duty thread hard enough that it will tear into the leather. Wax acts as a lubricant when pulling the thread through, plus it helps keep it in place and locks the stitch in place when sewing your next stitch. I would also recommend a stitching awl just for the fact that doing a lock stitch is going to be much stronger for an initial stitch around the piece. You can always do a whip stitch afterwards if you desire the aesthetic look.

i just got the leather i made a cell phone and knife case (my store bought folder). now i just need to make a knife that is meant to be in a sheath. (i made a kithchen knife for my wife. as a note heavy shoe leather is a good polishing medium for blades endges and just the sides.)