I Forge Iron

Kick in the ash!

viking-sword

I don't know but sounds like a good time to get the heck out of town.
I know to many disaster movies butttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::o
Bill P

PS
The radio station I leason to hear in Tenn. was talking about your volcano best keep an eye out. Don't want to read about you in the news.
BP

Edited by billp
to add a note

Hey Wes:

Ash blew by about 20 miles NW at 40,000 - 50,000'. Skwentna to Talkeetna were getting a light dusting yesterday. Nothing here. Redoubt erupted again about 7:30pm yesterday and that plume was headed towards Dillingham and environs.

They're expecting a wind shift later today or tomorrow and if it erupts then Anchorage and the Valley (here) might get ashed. Of course you know how reliable the weather guessers are so it's actually anybody's guess where it'll go next.

Deb and I cleaned the barn yesterday in case we need to close everybody in for a period of time. We're prepared and will get plenty of warning if it's coming our way. I've been dealing with this for some 37 years now, the last time Spurr erupted I could step out to the street and watch it.

Just so long as we don't end up with an ash layer like you guys have a couple feet down!

Here's the Mt. Redoubt page of the AVO web site for anyone who wants to watch the action.

Alaska Volcano Observatory - Redoubt - Activity Page

Frosty

Frosty,
wish I could be there, spent time in Hawaii watching kiluea blow, and have been hooked ever since, but that ash is baaaaad stuff to breathe, super asbestos man, take care, and keep plenty of beer on hand to wash down any stuck in your throat.

I got to stand a few feet from the flow at the base of the Pali on the big island and smell my jeans smoking from the radiant heat. I've always loved volcanoes.

Volcanic ash is like itty bitty broken light bulbs stuck together, liberally dusted with sulfur. It's genuinely nasty stuff to be sure. We're prepared, masks, plenty of supplies if we need to stay indoors. The barn's freshly cleaned so the animals can stay shut in for quite a while without endangering their health. We're on our own well and I have aux. power if needed.

About the worst will be having to shut the computers down and bag them, ash is really death on electronics.

If you want to make the trip, let me know and I'll pick you up at the airport though you may have to fly into Fairbanks and Deb might not be happy when I go. Then I'll take you down to Kenai, right across Cook Inlet from Redoubt so you can get a good look. Of course we could drive up on the hillside above Anchorage and get a look too.

Oh yeah, we're stocked up on beer for sure. ;)

Frosty

Glad to hear you Alaskans are doing ok. I've been watching the reports online and wondering if any from here were affected. I've never seen anything like that, but from what I've read being prepared is a key thing to getting along smoothly amongst it.
Dick

Glad to hear all is well Frosty. We experienced the blizzard of a lifetime here all night long, 50 plus mpd winds and heavy snow (whiteout). The old timers who have been here 60 plus years said they have never seen it this bad here before. Had my drive cleaned down to the gravel yesterday at 5pm and woke up to 4.4ft in the drive and the front of the house drifted in almost to the top of the door. took 3 hours to shovel a path for the 4x4 plow, and the next 5hrs using both shovel and plow to get one vehicle out to the road. We usually have bare ground and tons of rain this time of year, must be Al Gore and his global warming thats sitting in my driveway.

Edited by viking-sword

I heard you'd gotten hit pretty hard Wes. It hasn't been my experience that the rock gets big dumps like that. Then again the forcasters were saying you were in for a real blizzard.

It hit 40f here today and it's going fast. I was just outside walking around in a T shirt it was wonderful.

Don't hurt yourself digging.

Frosty

The paper says we got 21inches in 11hrs, in conjuntion with the high winds, it messed up the area pretty good. The airport runways were covered with 6ft drifts. All schools closed and most businesses were as well, didn't get much forging or knifework done today though the way I'm feeling right now I just need a long soak in the tub and a long sleep. Wes

Sounds like how I felt yesterday after a rush barn cleaning, we could see ash blowing by NW of us to keep us moving. Deb and I were both pretty whipped.

I got out and lit a fire today and determined which two new tools I need to make to do the next step. Gotta love it.

Frosty

Hope you don't have to shut yourselves or your animals in Frosty. I'm sure you know the routine having lived with that for as long as you have, but take care just the same. We will be anxiously awaiting your return if you do have to shut down your computers, cause after all, who else would be here to offer such good advice and gems of wisdom in the same (Hmmmm... just how can I put this? :rolleyes:) 'manner' (guess I have to be nice! :D) as you do. Take care and watch your and Debs' health and your animals too ,of course.

Terry