I Forge Iron

beginner tongs

Old South Creations

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about making my first set of tongs. I wanted a pair of tongs to use in a junk art sculpture but didn't want to sacrifice an old pair...so I made my own. Since they didn't need to be functional I made them light weight. Well, I made them too light weight! So I made another pair...actually two. I hate to do it but I'm still going to sacrifice them for my "art" project. The stock for the large pair was 3/4" x 5/16" and the small pair began life as a horseshoe.

100_2615.jpg
I had requests to post pics of what "beginner" tongs look like. They're not pretty but they are functional.

I'll post pics of my "junk sculpture" when it's completed.

Thanks for all of the nice comments. I'm definately going to make more that I will actually use. I think it was very good practice. First time I punched a hole rather than drill it, first time I used a rivet (actually it was a bolt but I used it as if it were a "real" rivet), and first time concentrating on making 2 identical objects...definately not time wasted! :)