I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Schools

yes there is advantages! you can learn a lot and save years of experementing ! but they help only if you practice after! they get you headed in the right direction.. they can correct hammering mistakes and many other things! as far as which schools it is not easy to figure.. i think its more what is available in your area ... and your budget! ive taken a few 3-4 day classes over the years and they have always helped ... if nothing else the ability to compare the way another person works! good luck!

Is there any advantage to going to a blacksmith school? If so, what ones are suggested, and why?

Yes there is. Being able to put yourself in a classroom situation and try some different approaches that you do not atempt in your day to day forging can open up many more possibilities. I was fortunate to be able to attend classes at Tom Clark's Ozark School of Blacksmithing and Alfred Habermann's courses at Helfstien Castle in the Chech Republic where I was exposed to many different techniques than I had been on my own. I had the opportunity to work with Tsur Sedan who taught Hofi's approach, Bob Patrick who I consider one of the best blacksmiths I have ever seen, Bill Bastas a smith with one of the best understandings of the principles of blacksmithing with a great way of comunicating it, and Tom himself one of the most driven men I have ever known. Then there was Alfred. who I spent 1 1/2 years with, who was the most giving and sharing man I have ever known, his way was to have you make what ever you needed before you could start whatever task you had at hand.
Alfred and Tom are gone now, but Tsur, Bob, and Bill are still out there along with other smiths that I have never had much contact with like Rob Gunther and his sons, so if you can get around these guys where ever you can along with others I don't even know. you'll be better off for it.

I am going to the Northeast Blacksmiths Associations Spring Meet and Bob Patrick will be the demonstrator there. I signed up for a "Hands On" workshop for beginners. This will be my first blacksmithing event.

Good for you. When you get there tell him I, Brian, said to show you how to do a one heat tong blank. You'll be amazed, and if you pay attention and try what you see him do then try it yourself at least 10 times, you'll be able to do it yourself. The trick is to do what he does, nothing more nothing less, and you'll be able to do it in a heat yourself.
And tell Bob the Brazeal brothers say Hi!

Good for you, Bob is an excellent demonstrator exteremly knowledgable, pay close attention and take plenty of notes. A camera would be good to have, video if possible and if they let you.

Yes Definitly, attend a good blacksmith school. I, too, had the good fortune to attend Tom Clark's school, Tsur Sadan was the instructor and it has been the best money I have spent, before or since, on anything blacksmithing. Mr. Hofi is having some classes up in your area and you may want to consider attending one of them if possible.

There are several good school out there with highly qualified teachers. The Gunter boys have one in Moriarty, New Mexico- The Forgery School of Blacksmithing, Frank Turley has a school in Santa Fe, NM, The John C Campbell Folk School, are just a few. There is one in the New England area but can't remember the name now. (old timers...sorry)

I highly recommend attending a good school. It will pay great dividends later if not sooner.

Brian, I will ask him to show me/us and say hi for y'all.

Thomas, I wish I had been into blacksmithing 15 years ago when I lived in Roswell, NM. I obviously missed out on some great oppurtunities.

How do I go about finding out where Mr. Hofi is holding classes?

I feel like a sponge, soaking up all this new info is pretty fun!

Never mind. I answered my own question. He will be 2 hours away from me at legal speed limits.;)

However, I will not be able to take the class, as I am enrolled in welding school during this period of time. :( or :) Depends on how you want to look at it.

Jeff,
I think it completely depends on what you mean by "school". You can go somewhere like Carbondale and actually work on a degree or you can hit up one of the more popular single class offering type schools that are all over. From what I can gather The US has roughly 80-90 schools that I have found on the net. That does not mean there aren't more out there. You have some great schools close-ish to you like New England School of Metalworking, Touchstone, etc.

Taking classes, to me, gets you out into a different mindset no matter what the class is on. I truly believe that one day with an instructor can potentially equal months of trial and error on your own.

I am also super lucky to have the opportunity to work for a guy who owns and operates his own school. I do the bookings, scheduling, website stuff, etc...I have seen just this year students coming through some of the classes and leaving with a much better understanding than they came in with no matter their skill level. If you want to make a road trip to Virginia to take a class or two we would love to have you. Some of the iforgeiron members also teach down here including Brian, Alwin, and Mark Aspery. We do weekend, week long, and long weekend type classes.

No matter what school you decide to go to or class to take the most important thing is to go in with the mindset of learning as much as possible and not being afraid to ask questions and try new things. "Experience is a wonderful thing." As my boss so often tells me...

Peyton

Jeff,
I think it completely depends on what you mean by "school". You can go somewhere like Carbondale and actually work on a degree or you can hit up one of the more popular single class offering type schools that are all over. From what I can gather The US has roughly 80-90 schools that I have found on the net. That does not mean there aren't more out there. You have some great schools close-ish to you like New England School of Metalworking, Touchstone, etc.

Taking classes, to me, gets you out into a different mindset no matter what the class is on. I truly believe that one day with an instructor can potentially equal months of trial and error on your own.

I am also super lucky to have the opportunity to work for a guy who owns and operates his own school. I do the bookings, scheduling, website stuff, etc...I have seen just this year students coming through some of the classes and leaving with a much better understanding than they came in with no matter their skill level. If you want to make a road trip to Virginia to take a class or two we would love to have you. Some of the iforgeiron members also teach down here including Brian, Alwin, and Mark Aspery. We do weekend, week long, and long weekend type classes.

No matter what school you decide to go to or class to take the most important thing is to go in with the mindset of learning as much as possible and not being afraid to ask questions and try new things. "Experience is a wonderful thing." As my boss so often tells me...

Peyton

Oh man, sorry I didn't mention Yesteryear School. Totally an oversight, not intentional.

I truly believe in an apprenticeship system!
Having said that, in this day and age, most of us don't have that kind of time to devote to what for the majority here is a hobby. All instruction from someone who knows anything more than you do, about any aspect, of all crafts, is worthwhile. I am primarily a woodworker, and in the 36 years that I have been involved in the craft, I have learned that what you absolutely know to be the truth today - will make you a liar by this time next week. None of us will ever know our subject completely, or there would be no chalenge in it to hold our interest. Short of quiting what you are doing, and becoming a full time apprentice, schools are the best, most effective way of learning/re-learning/tweaking or expanding your knowedge of all crafts. I believe we all have a need to school ourselves regularly, what I see at a class won't be what you see at the same class, experience "goggles" mean that we all see differing things, and watching someone elses method of work is always a good thing.
So bite the bullet and go to school, at least you will be volunteering to go this time 8-)
Paul

I try and take at least one course a year, and by doing so I have made significant gains in my understanding and abilities as far as blacksmithing goes.

I do spend a little time researching a potential instructor.. their teaching style vs my learning needs.

I have taken a number of farrier courses - shoe building.
If you want to understand working at the bick or horn or working top tools, look at an accomplished farrier.

I had an instructor who camped on me to move my hammer back 1/4 inch towards the bick. This went totally against what I thought I should be doing. I am so grateful that he stuck to his guns... it made the world of difference.

Green you grow; ripe you rot!

Matt that means you are also 2 hours from our guild meeting site as well!

Come on down man! We would love to have you hang out.

Peyton

Thanks for the offer. I'd like to do that sometime, although BGOP is quite a bit more convenient for me. :) (I'm starting a class at BGOP next week, actually; once a week for about eight weeks.)

Wow, I was hoping this thread would generate this kind of info! You are all supplying me with great information and suggestions. Thank you all so much!

It's also encouraging to see that even accomplished smiths continue to constantly further their own knowledge and understanding of this craft by attending schools also. I never considered that the teachers need teaching.

Peyton - You mentioned a scool for getting a degree. What kind of degree? Where or what does that degree earn you?

Gerald - Thanks for those links to this area. I will be reserching tose shortly.

Paul - Are there people out there that still do apprenticeships in this craft? And pay you at the same time? If so, I'm all over that, just as soon as I finish welding school and get all my certifications.

Jeff,
There are a few colleges/universities around that still offer blacksmithing/metalworking endorsed degrees. It is an art degree from what I understand.

Here is some info on what I have found to be the more popular of them:
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
PO Box 4301
Carbondale, IL 62901-4301
(618) 453-4315
For more information about the program contact
Valerie Brooks
Academic Advisor
School of Art and Design
Email: vlbrooks@siu.edu
(618)-453-4313

Hope this helps...
Peyton
...and here is a link to our school: Yesteryear School of Blacksmithing :)

They just may...
Here is their contact info as well...

American College of the Building Arts, Inc
21 Magazine Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Toll Free: 877-283-5245
Tel: (843) 577-5245
Fax: (843) 577-2451
Email: info@buildingartscollege.us

:) I have a big list of these places....

Peyton

Wow, I was hoping this thread would generate this kind of info! You are all supplying me with great information and suggestions. Thank you all so much!

It's also encouraging to see that even accomplished smiths continue to constantly further their own knowledge and understanding of this craft by attending schools also. I never considered that the teachers need teaching.

Peyton - You mentioned a scool for getting a degree. What kind of degree? Where or what does that degree earn you?

Gerald - Thanks for those links to this area. I will be reserching tose shortly.

Paul - Are there people out there that still do apprenticeships in this craft? And pay you at the same time? If so, I'm all over that, just as soon as I finish welding school and get all my certifications.

An apprenticeship is exactly that, you work for the knowledge not $$wages. Not many of us can afford to do that and the productive shop can't afford to have someone with no knowledge in their shop. Also, as a welder you will be QUALIFIED in a welding process, the procedure is what gets CERTIFIED. Not to be picky but that is what you will be when finished with your schooling--qualified. Good luck to you, the trade has been good to me and the is a growing need for good welders.