I Forge Iron

early 1800's attire

I'm helping out with an 1820 cabin restoration. When they have events I demo blacksmithing, but am in need of suppliers for that time period of clothing. Does anyone know of any web-sites that supply early 1800's clothing? Mainly looking for hats and coats or frocks. The pants and shirt is being provided by the cabin.

Thanks,
Reb

Here's a couple:

Smoke and Fire Company Online Store

Jas. Townsend and Son, Inc. -

I really like Smoke & Fire's patterns. If you, or someone you know, can sew, you can save a ton of money.

Material is easy to come by, particularly if you are "semi-serious" reenactor. The hard-core folks spend a lot of money on hand stitched woolen and linen clothing, but the 100% cotton stuff from Wal-Mart or the fabric store will get you by. They carry a brand of fabric called "Americam Homespun" with a lot of "period" check patterns and colors. They also carry Osnaburg, which is a course looking cotton fabric. For britches and other tough outer garments, the 100% duck canvas painter's tarps at Lowes work really well. Again, this stuff ain't gonna pass with your hard-core thread counters, but neither will most of the stuff from the online catalogs, but it all works fine for us "week-enders".

Besides, you get enough dirt on it, you can't tell what it is anyway!

Good luck to you,

Don

Reb
I was a Civil War Re-enactor for about 12 years and may still show up form time to time if the event is close enough. I do or did a Confederate Doctor but have seen a number of blacksmith in my time as well. In fact I though about after I get more experience maybe going back and setting up at events as a blacksmith. Only problem no one wants to pay much for your work.

One good souse of information are two magazines called Camp Chase Gazette or the Citizen's Companion both printed by Camp Chase Publishing (800) 449-1865. They have all types of articles and adds of people and places you might be able to get supplies from as well as events. For hats I recommend Clear Water Hats, WWW.clearwaterhats.com (870) 746-4324. They are not cheap but are really good I have three and love them all. As for clothing Fall Creek Suttlery (765) 482-1861 FCSutler@aol.com., Regimental Quartermaster www.regtqm.com. will help for a start. I would stay away from one called The Blockade Runner though had a very bad experience with them in a uniform they made for me it just was not good. If you can go to a good size to large reenactment that would be your best source. As a number of these and other sutlers set up to sell to reenactors and the public and you would be able to pick and chose better.

I hope all this is helpful and not to overwhelming. If there is anything else you may want to know ask as I do tend to run on to much when talking re-enacting. In any case keep your look simple in clothing cotton shirts, in pants, jackets and coats wool, and tools used and hard worked and you will do OK.
Good luck
Bill P

Edited by billp
to correct the never ending mistakes

Bill,

I live 10 miles from Gettysburg and Regimental QM. I have been CW re-enacting since 2000 and have more CW EQ than I probably need. But the hats I'm looking for are early 1812-1820 (civilian tradesman-blacksmith) eastern US. The store you mentioned are mainly CW era stores.

You are right that re-enactors don't want to pay a bundle for your work and alot of time I get a rash of crap from other blacksmiths because my prices are fairly low. I don't do the re-enactor blacksmith to make a ton of money. I blacksmith for the re-enacting community as an act of love for them. I know what we pay for our EQ and most of the time they have us over a barrell because they are a specialty shop. So bascically made it my mission for the CW community.

Thanks.

A lot of your concern will be location specific, even with the hats.

I you are reenacting a smith from an urban area (an established shop), or even one attached to a military unit, you will be more "uniform" in your dress.

I'm not sure when the simple "workman's cap" went out of use, but it works well throughout the 1700's and earlier.

On into the 1800's, you begin to see those cool billed caps/hats in a lot of applications... military caps, forage caps, etc.

Top-hats were the rage for gentlemen, but you most likely won't be portraying a gentleman.

Here is a site with some great information and dates on period hats:
MEN'S CIVILIAN HATS

Now, if you are reenacting a frontier / outpost smith in this period, things are gonna be a lot looser. Anything from a worn out military cap, the good old slouch hat (round, wide brim), or a rag tied around your head - bandana or dew-rag style... just something to keep the sweat out of your eyes.
For the later, please use a piece of period fabric, not a "cowboy style" bandana :rolleyes:

Do some image searches for the time period just to get a feel for the culture and setting.

Sorry Reb
Thought you maybe new and was just trying to help.
I have been trying to get up to Gettysburg for sometime but never seem to have the money or time when ever something is going on. My old unit the 5th Kentucky Co. E has been several times even taking part in the movie but I was never able to join them. Maybe my wife and I will travel up that way as she loves New York so may I'll get there after all.

As for being a blacksmith re-enactor you sound like your doing just as I would like to do. I would not be doing it for a living just to help and be a part of the group. After all it's about tell history as it really was and not how some want it to be. I commend you on trying to look as period as possible too, most would just give a weak try and let it go at that. That was one thing about my old group we all tried to look as real as possible on and off the field. I think I have as many civilian clothing as I do military for that reason.
Sorry I could not help keep up the good work.
BP

This is the basic scenario. The cabin is dated 1820 and is in a rural area. The cabin has been restored and they will be building a duplicate of the barn. This is located in central Maryland. They have different events, March was the Maple Sugaring Festival. I'm figuring this scenario would be more of a worker/labourer/farm type . Would a wide brim slouch hat be appropriate?

Red
I tend to agree with HWooldridge I think the doo-rag might be the thing. Working you would worry more with sweat then sun or looking proper. Back then you always wore a jacket or vest to hide your braces to be dressed right but, when working a smithy I'm almost certain they didn't. Then again with a doo-rag you would be more practical and less likely to catch sparks then with a brimmed hat of that day. Nothing else you can't go wrong with the tricorn. We even had a Miss. unit go into battle at the start of the war waring tricorns. So they lasted a long time into the 1800's.

By the way I will be more then proud to look you up if we get up your way and you can show me a thing or two I'm sure as I'm still green as grass.
Thanks
BP

• 1 month later...

I have posted my thoughts at: http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/how-do-you-set-price-your-work-11287/index2.html#post109106

You are right that re-enactors don't want to pay a bundle for your work and alot of time I get a rash of crap from other blacksmiths because my prices are fairly low. I don't do the re-enactor blacksmith to make a ton of money. I blacksmith for the re-enacting community as an act of love for them. I know what we pay for our EQ and most of the time they have us over a barrell because they are a specialty shop. So bascically made it my mission for the CW community. Thanks.

For information on how people dressed throughout history, your best source of information is likely to be the books by authors that have researched the history of clothing, especially the books on historically correct costumes for the theatre. A few examples found were:

Historic Costumes and How to Make Them (Paperback)
by Mary Fernald (Author), Eileen Shenton (Author)
List Price: $8.95
Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: Dover Publications (June 23, 2006)
ISBN-10: 0486449068, ISBN-13: 978-0486449067
Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.4 x 0.5 inches

What People Wore When: A Complete Illustrated History of Costume from Ancient Times to the Nineteenth Century for Every Level of Society (Paperback)
by Melissa Leventon (Author)
List Price: $29.95 Amazon Price: $19.77
Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (July 8, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0312383215, ISBN-13: 978-0312383213
Product Dimensions: 9.3 x 7.8 x 1.2 inches

What People Wore: 1,800 Illustrations from Ancient Times to the Early Twentieth Century (Paperback)
by Douglas Gorsline (Author)
List price: $19, Amazon price $13
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Dover Publications (August 22, 1994)
ISBN-10: 0486281620, ISBN-13: 978-0486281629
Product Dimensions: 11.8 x 8.8 x 0.8 inches

Pictorial Encyclopedia of Historic Costume: 1200 Full-Color Figures (Paperback)
by Karl Rohrbach (Author)
Amazon price $11.21
Paperback: 112 pages
Publisher: Dover Publications; Dover Ed edition (October 19, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0486461424
ISBN-13: 978-0486461427
Product Dimensions: 10.7 x 8.3 x 0.4 inches