I Forge Iron

Price Was Right & It Was Delivered

GlennA

A very good friend of mine delivered this to me last Saturday.  I had told him a few weeks ago that I was starting to dabble in Blacksmithing.

The only thing I can see that is hurt ... is maybe the movable side is bent just a little .. right below the screw hole.  I will straighten it later if I feel it is needed.

I got the 400 blower back together & running smoothly .... got the 401 sheet metal pan all clayed up & a 3" deep "ducknest made for this darned anthracite coal. (only coal I can find locally)  ... (yeh ... I'm in West Virginia .. northern panhandle town of Bethany .. for the curmudgeons)   The State famous for bituminous coal !

134 lb Haybudden is rr spiked down to the stump.  .... I'm almost ready to beat steel !

10.15.16a.jpg

10.15.16b.jpg

10.15.16c.jpg

10.15.16d.jpg

Beagle. Cool. Real blacksmith vise, very cool!  Hardest part is mounting it solid so it doesn't move.  A good bench attached to a wall is perfect but how many of us have that and don't have stuff under,on it,or beside it that gets in the way and is the right height for your cool vise. Not many. But any mount is better then nothing.  Good luck in this addiction. You will be surprised how creative you will get to make it work. In the words of another smith here, Happy forging. :-)  

Thanks for the reply & the flowers Kevin !   
I have a piece of 7" diameter thick wall pipe.  I plan on welding a 3/4" thick x 18" x 24" plate /table to the top & a gusseted leg hole plate at the bottom ... then concreting 2' of it in the ground.   I think this will give me plenty of access around the vise ... & I don't think it will move.
This vise is 33" from under the top mount to the bottom of the leg ball.

I also have two thick Street Grates that I plan on making a table out of .... any thoughts on how high I should make it ?    Anvil Height .. or Bench height ?

The height depends on how tall you are and what height is comfortable for you to work. I built a 4' and a 5' out of storm drain grate. I am 6'3" so I made them 40" high but they actually came to 41" with the grate on top. I made the first one with bolted on extensions for adjustability but never needed to adjust it. One thing I will say is that it is too high for a vise and I need to re-think that one.

On the first table I cut my grate lengthwise into three sections. They rest inside the 1/4" angle and any part can be lifted out to make a space for OA drops etc.

13 hours ago, GlennA said:

I have a piece of 7" diameter thick wall pipe.  I plan on welding a 3/4" thick x 18" x 24" plate /table to the top & a gusseted leg hole plate at the bottom ... then concreting 2' of it in the ground.   I think this will give me plenty of access around the vise ... & I don't think it will move.
This vise is 33" from under the top mount to the bottom of the leg ball.

I also have two thick Street Grates that I plan on making a table out of .... any thoughts on how high I should make it ?    Anvil Height .. or Bench height ?

I sunk an 8 foot long piece of 5" pipe into a yard of concrete. Weld crossbar to the pipe to help the concrete hold.