I Forge Iron

Handy New Doo-dad

A rainy afternoon trip to Tractor Supply netted an unexpected pleasure. When my wife started browsing in the cheap tool bin near the checkout for a new screwdriver, I spotted something that had to come home with me. This Vice Grip with extended adjustment rod struck me as being a super addition to my small but growing tong collection. Standard Vice Grips are a little short for use in a gas forge, but these look like they'll work great! The extended handle makes it pretty heavy, but the weight should be manageable from the forge to the anvil.

Handy Doodad.jpg

Handy Doodad 1.jpg

They look potentially very handy...you might have to put a lock nut of some sort to prevent the handle unwinding and losing the tension in the heat of the moment.

Those don't look like the same action as the Vice-grips I have, the release moves the opposite way, and mine do not have the secondary articulation.

It might be worth considering welding an extended handle onto the clamping lever to give you conventional-tong-like rotational control.That would prevent the latch from releasing under shock, and prevent any rotation of tool or workpiece...have to see how they work as is first...

Alan

Of course they're not Vice Grip brand, but rather the cheap Chinese knockoffs. The Chinese stuff seems to be getting better over time.

The tension of lockdown is plenty to keep the handle from unwinding.  After clamping down securely on a hammerhead-size chunk of steel, I practically had to use a hammer on the release lever to get it unlocked.  I haven't tried them on anything hot yet, but I think they'll be just fine as is.

That explains it.

I only came across American Vise-grips when my garage-man brother in law started buying tools from a Snap-On van in the 70s

The quality UK cam lock pliers over here in the 50s and 60s were called Elmo's...they were made by the Mole Engineering Company or similar.

The release was in the same direction as your Chinese ones. but it was made from a 6mm (1/4") round with a flattened push pad. Much more comfortable  to release than the Vise-grips which I always thought odd that you had to push on the edges of a bit of folded sheet rather than the soft curved fold.

Still the Vise-grips are well made, available and robust...I have ended up with a dozen or more of the welders clamp version and a few of the other styles.

I will be interested to hear how you get on forging with them... may even have to convert one of my pairs!

Alan

The springs don't seem designed to withstand welding current either :( 

I have magnetic block welding returns. Fine on the steel bench top or steel project...not so good for non-ferrous and 316L...so the get round is to use a Vise-grip onto the workpiece and the magnet on the vice grip...depending on which jaw makes the good contact determines the survival or otherwise of the spring!

I have also discovered that one does eventually become adept at using them singe handed without a spring...

Alan

Alan i weld a ss bolt to the top of the v-grip bolt on my welding table ground lead works good only problem

is when you Forget to take it off the trailer you.re moving out of the shop LOL !! I have seen welding eqt follow the trailer out

& welding tables last time I did it I tore off a nice alum rope tie down on the boat I Just fixed :( with customer moving

trailer out - well short story put trailer back in & come back in an hour or so lol fixed it on my dime

yea my stuff is bolted to the floor a friend of mine dump his Lincoln 6' H onto the floor twice just scratch the paint tough

machine red box ac/dc