I Forge Iron

Central Ohio Junkyards? And Scrap Type?

Hey All,

Was going to post solely about scrap type for power hammer dies but figured this is a large site and if there are any central Ohio members that know of scrap yards that allow you to go treasure hunting, that would be a great help! I ask because I've called around and so far they all said they only buy and I can't go picking because of liability issues...

I just purchased my first power hammer, a mayer bros 25lber and am currently reading Richard Kern's Little Giant book. I noted that he recommends the dies fit snug and apply equal pressure on both sides of the of the sow block where the die dovetails and the one that came with it does not. I also want to make different shapes and what not. So what do you guys recommend for scrap? Truck axles? I'm new to all this and the book said you could use mild or a steel that can be hardened so I'd like to hear you guys opinions and what you all have done. Thanks!

On a side note, I want to say what a great pleasure it is being part of the blacksmithing community! I went to SOFA's quadstate after getting into smithing last year and wow. What a great bunch of folks, super helpful, reasonable on prices and what really blew me away was that most sold their wares by setting everything up next to their truck and putting a coffee can next to it while they left to browse all the great stuff! What a change from the typical bs one deals with in other hobbies and business dealings I've had. Long live the blacksmith!

When I was a student I used to go to Research Alloys in Columbus, but  that was 15 years ago. Don't know if it even exists by that name anymore. The other place I went a lot was the Welding Engineering department at Ohio State. That was before the moved to the new facility on the east side of the Olentangy River. I'd still check in with them. Ask to speak to Larry Heckadorn. Another place I went was First Street Recycling in Dayton.

For a 25# LG you can probably find fork lift tines of an appropriate size; so add in all implement dealers, and forklift shops and you may be able to get a damaged tine for scrap rate if you explain you are going to use it for blacksmithing materials and would be happy for it to be cut in pieces before it leaves the premises.  I once found a junked forklift run off a bluff side right off south High that had two 180# tines on it.  I salvaged one and some friends salvaged the other---all my scrounging sites I turned over to my friends when I left Columbus 12 years ago... 

Thanks for the help guys. I looked Research Alloys up and they are not too far from me. I've been busy this week so I haven't had a chance to call or stop by but I plan to in the near future. 

On a side note, having the power hammer ready to go and not being able to use it is driving me crazy!

I did Rberry, it seems they have two business units now; one that buys and one that sells. I forget the name of the side that sells but a quick google search will tell you, I only mention this because that is who you have to deal with when buying something. I haven't had a chance to stop out yet due to their hours but they did tell me I could come onsite and scrounge for whatever I want. They are open Mon-Fri 9-4:30 and Sat 9-12. If you stop in let me know what you find!