I Forge Iron

Interesting arm and hammer anvil

Drove down into WV yesterday after this little guy, 123 pound Arm and Hammer. I am fairly certain it's an arm and hammer but it is a very early one. All of the markings except the weight stamp are fairly obscured including the last digit of the serial number . The serial number is either 363 or 368.... Best I can tell and it has a forged base with 4 handling holes and a flat bottom. Under the heel it is very rough you can see all sorts of fullering marks. He still rings like a bell from the feet to the tip of the horn despite it's ugly appearance, it has seen some heavy use but the rebound is the best I have ever seen, it even beats the larger hay buddens I have tested.

post-39902-0-98297900-1420247916_thumb.j

post-39902-0-69234700-1420247940_thumb.j

post-39902-0-03556300-1420247963_thumb.j

post-39902-0-91012400-1420247987_thumb.j

I think it is cool how A&H left the fullering marks in their anvils.  It left no doubt about how it was made, and that it was forge out on open dies.  Amazing how they could keep the consistency on the shape.  I guess when you do them all day, every day, it becomes second nature.

Nice early anvil.

Thanks guys! I have been wanting an A&H for a while, I'm trying to collect all the major American brands..... No I didn't even know glenn lived down that way.... I use a mobile app on my phone for this forum and it doesn't show where anyone lives

You cannot leave us anvilphiles hanging with that statement:  Show us your collection, or at least list what you have so far.

So far: 60# and 123# trenton, 123# A&H , 225# hay budden, 100# and 200# fisher, several peter wrights and one mousehole of various sizes, and a William foster...... I have been selling my English anvils to make some cash for my American anvils ..... Nothing against English makes but I just love all things made right here in the states .... Next on my list is an American wrought and a Vulcan, although I would like to have an early colonial pattern without the cutting table, around these parts the most common anvils you run into are peter wrights despite being two hours from Columbus, I want to pick up a columbian as well but have yet to run across one within a couple hours drive

So far: 60# and 123# trenton, 123# A&H , 225# hay budden, 100# and 200# fisher, several peter wrights and one mousehole of various sizes, and a William foster...... I have been selling my English anvils to make some cash for my American anvils ..... Nothing against English makes but I just love all things made right here in the states .... Next on my list is an American wrought and a Vulcan, although I would like to have an early colonial pattern without the cutting table, around these parts the most common anvils you run into are peter wrights despite being two hours from Columbus, I want to pick up a columbian as well but have yet to run across one within a couple hours drive

Nice assortment.  I am sure that you will be able to fill the holes with one trip to Quad States in September.  Just bring the green.