I Forge Iron

Hay Budden RAOLA Van Camp H&I anvil

I’ve seen several different Hay Budden branded anvils for hardware store chains before.
But I’ve only seen the RAOLA name mentioned once in AIA, and had never seen even a picture of one before this.

The Van Camp Hardware & Iron Company was located in Indianapolis, founded in 1888.
From what I can gather, the “Raola” name was used by Van Camp Co. on their edged tooling (razors, chisels, etc) and cutlery.
This one was made in 1894 according to AIA.

The shield logo trademark was used in their catalog.

Raola174-1.jpg

Raola174-2.jpg

Raola174-3.jpg

Raola174-4.jpg

In the images below you can see the shield trademark in the upper corners of the catalog page, the same as on the anvil, and the Raola name on the lid of the chisel box. Also the name on an antique straight razor like barbers used for shaving.

post-25745-0-70173800-1408652996_thumb.j

post-25745-0-14312100-1408653087_thumb.j

post-25745-0-66315400-1408653510_thumb.j

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Lutz said:

I believe I found your anvil's sibling. I just picked it up a few days ago and I have not yet had a chance to clean off the paint and uncover the serial number. 

IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

An interesting one you have there. Has a cliphorn but only one pritchel hole. Is sort of half blacksmith and half horseshoer pattern. I knew for a time they made blacksmith patterns with extra big horns for all purpose work, but never saw a real hybrid like that one before. Nice find.

George

• 4 years later...