I Forge Iron

helve hammer

Some pics of my helve hammer. It is a "Durabo", made by Perrin & Fils somewhere in France, I forget where exactly. Weight of the actual head is about 20kg. I presume the name Durabo is a (dreadful) pun on "dur et beau" meaning "hard and handsome". Ahem, moving swiftly on;

IMG_0541.jpg

The upper and lower dies. I have failed to make sense of the lower "die", save to suppose that it was designed by someone without very much common sense.The hammer head (ram) is made from a cast material, I hope ductile rather than straight cast iron. The lower die I believe is ductile, the upper die is steel. The anvil is cast iron.

IMG_0547.jpg

Great looking small Helve with an interesting spring arrangement. Looks to be in Super condition too...Great find.

I won't say anything about hair on one condition.... Take some pictures of the mechanisim that operates the hammer and post them. The entire assembly sure looks more heavy duty than necessary,but I assume that's why it's still around.

There may have been several different dies originally and perhaps you got a mismatched set... there seems to be a lot of options going on with that setup between the top & bottom dies.

You need the operators manual....

Enjoy the new tool it sure is a dandy...

don't mock the haircut, it is very much like my handsome younger son's, besides what else are you going to do with a head full of naturally wavy hair, put it up in pig tails?
Nice looking helve hammer. Looks like it will do some hard work for you. Are you just now installing it in your shop?

God Bless you Bentiron, but my hair isn't even particularly wavy, I just happened to have married a woman whose hair-cutting technique has yet to realize its full potential (and I consider men paying for haircuts a true sign of a degenerate society, but I digress).

Owen, I thought the same thing about the rings and upsetting on the lower die, but you are looking at some pretty small rings and pretty short bars. It think it is a nod to those functions, in a "selling point" sort of way, while not actually being convincing in either.

The dies do indeed go together. This hammer, which was, I believe, manufactured in the 80s, came with a selection of dies, none of which really "match". I will take photos and post them later, along with photos of the mechanism. There is another lower die which, to my eyes, would appear to be the worst possible design in the world, it's a sort of table top. Anyway, you will see it in the photos.
-Dan

This morning I have a question. I have attached some photos of the coil springs. They were originally tightened so that the horizontal bars held the helve tight. In the pictures the helve is loose. The springs, one above and one below, are each about 67mm in length. The gap that needs to be closed is abut 28 mm. That means that the springs need to be compressed by about 14 mm each, which is about 20%. That seems like a lot, given that that is their non-working percentage of compression. I understand that a balance needs to be struck between the give of the coil springs (generous) and the give of the leaf springs (very stiff). But the main motivation for my question is that, while I don't know very much about springs, I know that they break, and that these ones are aimed directly at my guts and attached dangly bits. Is 20% overtight for a spring? Will an undertight spring be more or less likely to break?

I plan to wrap them in leather, but their vertical orientation might prove problematic as the leather wears, sags, etc. Can anyone think of a more suitable sheathing? Rubber?

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

The mechanism works basically like this; the belt goes from the motor to an idler wheel, the same dimensions as the drive wheel. When you push the pedal (or whatever you call it) down with your foot, it is attached to a long bar, which pivots upward at the other end. This in turn... actually, I will post some pictures of the goings-on instead, as I don't know the names of half the little doo-dahs involved;

Ready and waiting for sparky to wire her up;

IMG_0566.jpg

The bar, the spring that keeps it in idle position, the little pivot doo-dah can be seen just below the motor pulley.The belt is on the idle wheel, the funny little metal fork pulls the belt over onto the drive wheel.

IMG_0567.jpg

The twiddler for adjusting the space between dies which is part of the pole which makes the hammer go up and down. You can also see the the bar that makes the fork go back and forth, with square bronze (brass?) bushings (?).

IMG_0571.jpg

As you can see, the body is constructed from channel iron, with some sheet bolted on using enormously over sized bolts, to make it look nice.

Lastly a picture of the other lower die, a really goofy shape, in my opinion;

IMG_0565.jpg

Excellent pics Dan... What a design.. You mentioned this was built in the 80's you don't mean the 1980's ? If that's the case a manual ought to be available for it still. I've searched the internet and found no info on this particular hammer design so far.

This is a very interesting helve design and Thanks for sharing. I see the eccentric operates similar to most other designs much like the Hathorn & the Hawkeye helves...

I hope it works out for you & I see no reason it shouldn't. I'm really liking the simplicity of the various small helve hammers and will be looking forward to you getting this operational.

How's the upright hammer functioning you were working on ?