I Forge Iron

Blower Recommendation For 55 Forge

Gundog48

I've been doing a lot of reading up about blacksmithing, and plan to make a 55 forge this summer, needless to say I am extremely excited. The only thing I am unsure about is the bellows. The way I see it, I have 2 choices, foot-operated bellows or a crank-operated blower. I have no idea what kind of capacity bellows I should be looking for, or what kind of blower would be up to the job! I have been trying to find places to buy them, but have drawn a blank, even eBay almost bare! I like in Kent, England if anyone has any suggestions as to where to buy supplies.

Hey Gundog48,

I lucked out and found a champion 400 that I have hooked to mine. Don't let the lack of a blower slow you down. If needed use a hair dryer until you can get a blower or you make a bellows. There may be a few detours but don't let that stop you. Good luck.

Mark <><

Anything that moves will work, some better than others. Look for a squirrel cage blower that can be found in many types of machine as cooling fans. Do not forget the heater / blower from a automobile. Anything to get you started so you will have time to look for a second choice.

A possibility that is fairly inexpensive is a bathroom ventilation fan... You can get them new for less than $20 at Lowes, they put out more than enough air and are pretty easy to adapt to whatever pipe/tubing you use... If you are handy with sheet metal work, you could also use a squirrel cage/heater fan out of a car with a headlight dimmer switch for a speed control... Just a couple ideas to ponder... Hope they help...

Drag

My personal experience would dictate that a small hand crank blower is all that is needed. They are so convenient to use and take up little space.

The more complex units like the Canedy-Otto and Champion 400 I would steer clear of, unless you have to have a complex unit. These have very complex internal workings such as brass/bronze bushings and ball bearings/cones. They tend to require much more "fixing" as they are filled with worn bushings/ball bearings etc.etc.. most of which reqire you to search for good used items or make them to perform repairs.

A much less forgiving blower, which employs NO bearings and is very reliable due to it's very sturdy/simple construction, would be the Champion Eureka 140 or a similar unit. They are small and provide a strong blast of air. Don't be fooled by the size. If you can fire with a hair dryer, this little baby will exceed your expectations.

I have provided some pictures. They cost so much less than the more complex blowers. The 400 is nice, but the little Eureka is more then enough to fire a forge. I found one in use at a historical society on thier large masonary forge.

post-21170-0-25245700-1332711584_thumb.j

post-21170-0-24126000-1332711846_thumb.j

Thanks for the advice! I have a car air blower I could use but I'd rather stick to manual blowers. I can't find many crank blowers, but I came across these bellows listed below. The only thing that puts me off is that he told me they move roughly the same amount of air as a car foot pump, do you think they are up to the job, or would it be too much work to get a decent amount of air moving?

http://bit.ly/Hf7Qz6

Can you buy from a source like e-bay? There are blowers on there all the time like what I described. Many times, just a blower and not the complete forge. I do see that folks have problems with the small Buffalo blowers. They seem not quite as well built from what I have read. I don't have one persoanally, but have turned one and it sounded like it it was full of metal chunks.