I Forge Iron

Bellows plans

steamlemming

I'm actually going to be making mine out of an old leaf blower. I wanted one of these...

...but I ain't go the $400 that these things usually go for. A busted leaf blower, on the other hand, already has everything necessary for a bellows, self contained... link

Once you get the housing and the fan isolated, all you have to do is lengthen the axis and attach a handle for the crank. Apparently a guy named Dave Gingery did something along these lines (How to Design and Build Centrifugal Fans), but I haven't been able to find a picture.

The only problem with this plan is that the fan will only turn as fast as you can crank. However, if you fashion a gear box on the side (small gear to large, small gear to large) and THEN attach the crank---or even a foot pedal---you should get enough air moving for it to be a viable option.

Thoughts from a newb...

Copyrighted photos removed and links put in their place

The only problem with this plan is that the fan will only turn as fast as you can crank. However, if you fashion a gear box on the side (small gear to large, small gear to large) and THEN attach the crank---or even a foot pedal---you should get enough air moving for it to be a viable option.
Yeah, leaf blowers turn a lot of RPM. You wouldn't need but a couple thousand to feed a fire though... 40:1 step up might do it.

I think a blower could be fashioned out of plywood, with about 21-22" diameter impeller it wouldn't need nearly as much RPM. Prolly still need a pulley system to get enough though. One of these days...

Good Luck!

You can use an old 10 speed bike for the transmission. If you fill the tire with cement it makes a dandy flywheel to keep the blower turning after you let off the crank.

This is a version from Viet Nam. There are four or five forge blowers in the stack for sale. In use they hang them from a wall and plumb the air to the fire. I don't have the URL to the site this pic came from, maybe someone will recognize the pic and repost the link.

Frosty

10424.attach

Edited by Frosty

You can use an old 10 speed bike for the transmission. If you fill the tire with cement it makes a dandy flywheel to keep the blower turning after you let off the crank.

This is a version from Viet Nam. There are four or five forge blowers in the stack for sale. In use they hang them from a wall and plumb the air to the fire. I don't have the URL to the site this pic came from, maybe someone will recognize the pic and repost the link.

Frosty
Those look like steel motorcycle rims, might have enough mass by themselves.

Here is another PDF which shows a simple blower:
http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD_40/JF/JF_VE/SMALL/04-110.pdf

Good Luck!

Dave Gingery has a book on centrifugal fans, it's a really good book, I have a copy.
You can buy it from Lindsay Books, as well as lots of other great books, for anyone who has never heard of them, you really need to go over and have a look around at the books they have.
Here is a link to the Gingery book on fans,Gingery's Other Foundry Titles

welder19

or you could just buy a $5 used hair dryer, that should supply all the air you need.

Of course it would. Thing is, for tribal stuff---or those of us who just love the notion of not being dependent on electricity---you need something that's operated manually. And I don't care how many gears and pulleys you put on it, there's no way to hand-crank a hairdryer up to speed :p