I Forge Iron

Hello from North Texas

Chancellor

Hello everyone,
I'm a beginner blacksmith in North Texas, around the Denton area. I've been checking around the forums and they've been incredibly helpful and I thought maybe if I participate I would learn even more. I've been blacksmithing for about a year now, though I've had to take a few extended breaks due to a number of severe droughts. As a result, I feel like I haven't progressed as quickly as I should have. I tried snooping around ntxba.org, but it looks like it hasn't been updated in ages, and there's a notice saying they've cancelled all hammer-ins and their meeting tab pops up with "No meetings available". I don't really know where to go from here.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and hope I can contribute at least a little to the forum. At the very least, I hope I can stay active.

The only smith that I know in your area is James Johnson. He's a good contact though and will know if there is anything going on in your area. You can contact him through Anyang USA and see some of his work at their site too: http://www.anyangusa.net/ If you get a chance to visit his shop it will be well worth your time!

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I agree, James is a great guy and very knowledgable. Also contact Chuck Stone, I believe he is Newark...anyway his contact info in on ntxba.com If you want to make a trip to the Longview area give me a holler, I'm 2hrs from the Abrams and Royal area in Dallas...our daughter and son n law live there. Also, if you don't mind the drive, the SouthCental group of Saltfork Craftsmen meet once a month just a few hrs north of you. www.saltforkcraftsmen.org and check the schedule to see where that next meeting is.

Hello, I'm also a beginner, probably much more so than you. I am in Dallas.

I don't know if you are aware but Brookhaven Community College is offering Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced Blacksmithing courses through their continuing education division. It's at the very bottom of this link, under "Welding": http://www.brookhavencollege.edu/course-schedules/non-credit/arts_academy.aspx

They are every Saturday starting in January and the teacher is Kris Kring who was the blacksmith for Plano's Heritage Village.

Hope this helps.

• 5 weeks later...

If you are up to traveling, Balcones Forge and Houston Area Blacksmith Assoc. (HABA) will be having a joint meeting in Bryan, Texas on February 18th. The Lee Brothers will be demonstrating at their shop. I will be making the trip from Devine (south of San Antonio). Well worth the time and gas. You can check the Balcones or HABA website for details.
Jerry

If you are up to traveling, Balcones Forge and Houston Area Blacksmith Assoc. (HABA) will be having a joint meeting in Bryan, Texas on February 18th. The Lee Brothers will be demonstrating at their shop. I will be making the trip from Devine (south of San Antonio). Well worth the time and gas. You can check the Balcones or HABA website for details.
Jerry

Totally agree! I attended last year and won't miss it! Best Little Mini-Conference in TEXAS!! Not sure what's on the agenda this year as Jeff had back surgery back in Dec so it may be a "one man show" as he told me! But will definitely be well worth the effort to be there.

Just got a call from the school saying that it wasn't a lack of materials (I was thinking maybe they only had seven anvils, and if I brought or donated one I could attend). Instead, it was safety issues and space restrictions. I'll have another chance this summer, and to be honest, it works out better with school anyway. Thanks guys, and have fun! Maybe the North Texas Blacksmith's Association will begin having meetings again, so perhaps we'll get to meet up sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MizuPsi, This is Kelly Kring, the Blacksmith instructor at Brookhaven College. I'm sorry you missed the classes this semester. Three folks to go find. Fred Christen at Dallas Heritage Village dot Org located at the DHV Museum off Harwood & I30 in Dallas. Next is Will (Feirry sp?) at the Grapevine Blacksmith shop at the Grapevine visitor center. Finally is Chuck Stone north of Ft. Worth. All three teach introduction courses in Blacksmithing and are all three very good teachers. As for my summer course at BHC, get in early and in the morning class when it is still cool. We reached 115* and up last summer in the afternoon class. This Feb.11, 2012 is the next NTBA meeting at the Smith Designs MFG shop in Gunter. All three of my classes, UNT arts metals, and BHC Welding folks will be in attendance. We are holding three simultaneous demo's in three separate areas, so there will be plenty of room and lots to see. Bring your camera!
Hope to meet you there. All are invited!

• 1 month later...

Mr. Kring,
Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you for your advice. I'll definitely look into the other smiths you recommended, and hope to be able to take your summer course. If I may ask, in the case I take an introductiory course under one of the three smiths you mentioned, would I be able to take your intermediate course in the summer?
Thanks again

Hey Man. I am actually in Ben Wheeler (between Canton and Tyler) and I am getting back into smithing after a LONG break. If you need anything (not sure how much help I can be) feel free to ask and I will do all I can. I am going to be looking into the classes at Brookhaven also and once I get a bit more stable am going to try to start getting to some of the "local' conferances. Everything everyone has said about the Saltfork Craftsman group is true. They are some of the most amazing people you will meet, though it has been probably 6 or 8 years since I have had the opportunity to meet with them. Good luck and if you are ever out in the country you have a place you can stop and kill some time in Ben Wheeler. Take Care.

• 4 years later...