I Forge Iron

forged pineapple

This is a pineapple base I forged tonight - for relaxation purpouses. The top leaves will be made soon and a picture of the finished pineapple will follow as soon as I get it done. The total hight of the base is 3" and 1-11/16" wide. I started with a 1-11/16" shaft. There is approximately 125 individual stampings to make up the texture on the base. I'm not getting payed on this one either LOL - this is just for grins and giggles. - JK

802.attach

Neat job Jeremy, just one point of order your worship ;) The pineapples I'm used to seeing are about as big as footballs...gridiron or Aussie rules. What about a full size one otherwise the cherries in the fruit basket will be as big as pin heads.

And a teka-nickle question, when punching one side what do you support the otherside with so's not to destroy work already done?

This was just a sample piece that I can put on my desk for people to see the kinds of things I can do.
I just used some solid round stock that was laying on the floor. As for a life size - I don't think I would want to tackle that due to the amount of heat, time and weight that would be involved. Not that I couldn't do it, It's just that without getting payed, I don't need to spend that kind of time and money on it. I have plenty of other projects going that will take time and money. So I just did this for the heck of it and a sample.
During the texturing I used aluminum plates in the vise to keep from damaging the areas that were already stamped. The heat from stamping softened the aluminum so it would form fit the depressions of the stampings, and that helped hold better in the vise. Speaking from experience - while doing something like this wear gloves! As the vise will get very hot from the residual heat - enough so I couldn't open or close the vise with bare hands. JK

Here is some pictures as I was making and putting the leaves on the pineapple. Pieces were cut from 16 ga sheetmetal and as the layers were put on they were tig welded in the center hole of the "star type shapes". After being done with it, I can see now that the leaves are put on they could have been just a bit taller to be more proportional with the base - Although I would make changes if I was to do another one. As the first one - I'm happy with it. The total hight is 4" tall and 1-11/16" wide. -JK 9/22/06

807.attach

808.attach

809.attach

810.attach

811.attach

812.attach

• 3 weeks later...