• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 horseshoer1983

horseshoer1983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

anyone know anything about these kanca anvils from oldworld iron?

#2 engineer_mike

engineer_mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:30 PM

Compare This:
Old World Anvils - Stake Tools
With this:
Peddinghaus (Handwerkzeuge-Durlach)

#3 Bentiron1946

Bentiron1946

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

Is there any particular reason that they caught your fancy over any other brand of new anvil?

#4 horseshoer1983

horseshoer1983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

the pattern. and the price.

#5 Bentiron1946

Bentiron1946

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

What size are you thinking of getting? Is this for general smithing or use in horse shoeing?

#6 horseshoer1983

horseshoer1983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:29 AM

77 lb'er for my shoeing rig. ive got a peddinghaus in the shop that i turn handmade shoes on on a daily basis. i prefer this pattern over the london pattern or american farriers anvils. so i went looking for a german pattern for the shoeing rig and old world anvils was what i found.

#7 Bentiron1946

Bentiron1946

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

I guess that it's an OK anvil or they wouldn't be selling it. I kind of choke on about $6.50 a pound for an anvil plus shipping. It is a nice pattern to work on. Is it tax deductible?

#8 horseshoer1983

horseshoer1983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

anything i put in the shop or on the truck is written off on my taxes. called today and talked to a fella by the name of terry. $550 shipped to my door.

#9 Bob S

Bob S

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationsoutheast Minnesota

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

The Kanca says "Forged" but looks cast. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Bob

#10 Bentiron1946

Bentiron1946

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

From the picture it looks forged but what can you tell from a picture. I'm sure that we'll soon find out how good an anvil it is once he gets it on his rig and puts it to work. It might well turn out to be one of the best anvil around. Good shoeing with your new anvil! Merry Christmas too. Give us a report on the anvil, OK?

#11 pkrankow

pkrankow

• Members
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

It would be easy to die forge raised letters. I'd love to see video of these things being made.

Phil
Your brain is the most powerful tool you own.

#12 horseshoer1983

horseshoer1983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

From the picture it looks forged but what can you tell from a picture. I'm sure that we'll soon find out how good an anvil it is once he gets it on his rig and puts it to work. It might well turn out to be one of the best anvil around. Good shoeing with your new anvil! Merry Christmas too. Give us a report on the anvil, OK?

we will find out after the holidays. if i like it will be handing my 60lb emerson down to my aprentice.

horn looks like it could use some polishing but thats just me.

#13 Kanca

Kanca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Hey Guys!

I am Murat from Kanca Hand Tools and I work in the export dept. I found this forum a few months ago but somehow I forgot to answer about the threads. But now please let me know whatever you need to know about Kanca anvils.. But as a general instruction about Kanca and the questions about if the anvil is really forged or not;
Kanca (www.kanca.com.tr) is a forging company. This is basically what we do. The most of our turnover comes from the automotive industry. We supply forged parts to companies like Volkswagen, Ford, Renault, Audi, Porsche, Mercedes, Fiat, Bosch, Bentley, ... pretty much all of the companies in the auto industry.
And also we are a syupplier for forged hand tools like drop-forged bench vices, drop-forged anvils, hammers, leg vices, metal shears, etc.. And we are the most selling forged bench vice manufacturer in Europe.
And about the anvils; yes they are drop forged. Made of C45 steel and the surface is induction hardened. As far as I know it is one of the 2 forged anvils in the world with the Peddinghaus anvils. It is the same German pattern.
Currently we do not have a distributor in US yet (hopefully soon) but you can order them from Old World Anvils or order from our customers in Europe like Angele (www.angele.de) .
Please do not hesitate to ask about any info or documents about them. Maybe I could record a video of the anvils getting forged in the plant later.
You can get in touch through the forum or directly from [email protected]

#14 Eylem Cengiz

Eylem Cengiz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIstanbul/TURKEY

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hi all,

I have a membership here but I had no posts, was just reading. Luckily noticed this topic today. :-) I am an administrator of the Turkish bladesmithing forum "bicaksanati". We are the only active bladesmithing forum of Turkey.

I purchased this Kanca anvil about a year ago. This is the lightest one of their product range. I don't use it a lot as I am working on my propane forge yet but I hope this will change.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Tim McCoy

Tim McCoy

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Murat & Eylem - thank you for the input and welcome to IFI !!
My Heart is a Silent Harp,
Played by Other Lives,
Tuned by Changing Needs,
With an Audience of One.

T. D. McCoy'82

#16 pkrankow

pkrankow

• Members
  • 5,373 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

We love seeing nice tools, and big machines in action.

That is a very nice looking anvil. Welcome aboard.

Phil
Your brain is the most powerful tool you own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users