I Forge Iron

Hello to everyone

jw223

I just joined the site, and I am looking foward to learning from everybody! I have 15 years experience w/sheetmetal, but unfortunately have never had any formal training in blacksmithing. I've made a few simple projects and really enjoyed the whole process. I have a small shop set up, but most of my equipment is more geared toward sheetmetal work: forming stakes, bead rollers, mostly old Pexto and Niagra. Any thoughts will be welcome!

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

There's plenty of good reading to help you get started in the "getting started, lessons in blacksmithing and blue prints" sections. you'll want to take a lunch and something to drink cause it's easy to get lost and need sustenance.

Asking questions is always welcome, good questions are a treat.

Frosty

welcome to I Forge Iron, We have rehabilitated a few tin knockers in the past, so I am sure we can help you too. Electrician here. Have fun, as there is a lot of stuff here, it can be a bit over the top. Your past experience will be a help to you here, kind of a jump start to metal work :) Glad you have you join us.

Edited by steve sells
typo

Thanks guys- it's nice to have the chance to pick up new info! It looks like this site has plenty to offer. Here are some pics of a few projects I've done. I like to get any input from you guys. They are probably basic for most of you, but I had fun, and was able to pick up a few needed tools...

12168.attach

12170.attach

12171.attach

12172.attach

Thanks guys- it's nice to have the chance to pick up new info! It looks like this site has plenty to offer. Here are some pics of a few projects I've done. I like to get any input from you guys. They are probably basic for most of you, but I had fun, and was able to pick up a few needed tools...

I can tell you are a crafty guy. I am also new at this stuff. This I believe is a great place to pick up knowledge. Bruce Godlesky is a member of this site and as luck would have it lives close to me. I've learned a lot from him.
Welcome!

Nice to meet you! Most of my day work is plain galvanized steel, so copper or brass is a nice change for me. Blacksmithing is also nice because I'm on the ground, not 75 feet in the air flying my materials in with a crane! Do you have any experience with a setting-down machine. I just got one, and I'm having a bit of trouble with it. I'm not sure how to prepare the seam before running it through. (is the say, can bottom, flanged, or burred?) Any help would be great!

LDW- Thanks for the link. That looks like a lot of the stuff in my shop. It's very old, but still works perfectly. Here is another way you could try putting the bottom on that cylinder: Take your botton disk blank, and using a burring machine, roll about a 3/8 or so flange all around the edge. Place that inside the cylinder with the flange facing down and flush up the two edges. Next, use a turning machine with an 1/8 bead, and roll the two pieces together. I normally do this with the bead profile facing out. This method won't hold a ton of weight, but if it is something that is for light use or decorative, it will work just fine. You could also leave a little extra on the cylinder, and fold it back on itself for a little more strength. I have never tried this myself though. Good luck, let me know how it works!