I Forge Iron

ornamental pro 3 queries

shipto

I don't and I don't recall anyone talking about using it. I use Google Sketchup with a couple handy scroll and material estimator plugins written by one of the guys here. It's a 3D modeling program that's reasonably easy to use. Heck, it makes Autocad's 3D look like it was written by lawyers. I use the free version and like it a lot.

Google SketchUp

Frosty

thank you frosty. I would have been more inclined to try OP last year when the exchange rate was more favourable but its a lot of outlay for something that may be pants.
It looks good on their website but they wouldn't make it sound anything else would they.

What? Are you telling me a salesman might stretch things, maybe not tell you about problems, deficiencies and such?

I am stunned you'd imply let alone come out and say such a thing. SHOCKED I say, SHOCKED! :o Oh, how did this come to pass that I should find myself in the company of such a sceptic! Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

"may be pants?"

Does our slang sound as weird to you as yours does to us? ;)

Frosty

Frosty,
I have played around with Google Sketch-up and I like it enough to even put Autcad on the back burner but I was having trouble getting drawn shapes to work with others. I don't know if "blend" is the correct term but for an example, I was trying to draw a table and when I drew a leg (a square tube) and tried to attach it to the plane I had drawn for the top, the leg wanted to go through the top, not attach to the bottom. Any tutorials available? I guess I could "Google" for them ;) BTW, I sent you a PM on the same topic a while back (I think it was back in May) but you didn't respond :)

Dodge:

What I do is make reference marks to snap to. I'll draw a line from the middle of one edge of the leg to the center on the plane I want to attach. Then I'll draw another line to where the end of that line is to go on the plane.

Then I select the object to be moved and with the drawing in xray mode (so I can see my mark easily) I select the end of the line on the leg and move it to the end of the line on the plane.

They're match marks just like I'd make to accurately weld a leg to a steel table. 1 center punch mark on the table and one on the edge of the table leg. Match the marks and weld.

Sometimes I can draw a line on the plane to a point where the middle of one of the sides of the leg at the end I want attached will meet.

This is one of the things I have to play with pretty regularly and what works changes drawing to drawing. I know there are "proper" ways to do it but I haven't been able to get them to work for me.

If you go to the Google Sketchup site you can take the online tutorials, they're very helpful. The help button takes you to a pretty thorough help site but it's online and can take a while to load and navigate.

I haven't opened Autocad since downloading Sketchup myself though I haven't removed it from my system.

I HOPE that was more helpful than it seems to me.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty

just to clear it up it means cigarette and womans privates here.

I knew that!!! :D

Thanks Frosty. That does help. 'Specially the reference to shop practice of positioning stuff for welding! I'll also check out the tutorials. I generally get a lot of help from them. Tutorials are how I learned most of my Photoshop skills :)

I haven't heard of Sketchup before but I've been having a lot of fun using Adobe Illustrator lately. I was trying to find an alternative to my previous white-out + photocopy approach to sketching. :) Within a few days of installing the program I was able to put together a set of professional looking designs for a client that were easy to send out in pdf format. Being able to quickly draw variations made it especially handy for visual problem solving, determining scale, etc.

I have not used the software that you are asking about but A person that I have worked for uses it. It is a big step up for him but it appears to be simplistic, clunky and awakward to use, it also does not seem very versitile. That said, I have not actually used it. If there is a demo available perhaps it is a solution that would work for you.

I use Solidworks which is a very very powerful 3D modeling program and can be applied to just about any problem. Autodesk Inventor is a more cost effective modeling program which is also very powerful.

As for Autocad I would sugjest that it has stood the test of time because it is a stable, well supported general purpose vector drawing program and would not discount it. Many of Autodesks very powerful software packages such as Architectual Desktop are based on Autocad. An inspired software developer could write an ironwork suite based on Autocad.

brad

Glad I didn't confuse the issue more Dodge.

I don't discount Autocad but I sure wish they would! The heartburn I have with it is how many useless bells and whistles it has and how counter intuitive it is to use. I don't want to have to learn autolisp (or whatever the current language is) and write my own macros for what should be some darned basic commands.

The 3D module is a nightmare to try and remain oriented. The only way I was able to do anything 3D with AC was very basic vector coordinates. I admit I didn't spend more than a week or so trying to winkle it out but sheesh.

It took me almost a whole half hour to surpass that mark using Sketchup.

Autodesk makes super products and I'll probably use it again for plan drawings. Still . . .

Frosty

Frosty,
I have just recently downloaded Sketchup and was going to look for the plugins for scroll work and estimators. Seeing as how you have already got them, would you mind letting me know what they are and where you found them? I have to agree with you on the ease of use of the program. After all we are not Injuneers (sic) here.....lol.
Thanks

Terry

I agree. I have managed to muddle through some basic 2D images even using some command line in Autocad. One, an anvil shape, I even had converted to G-code to cut it on CNC. But to venture into the 3D world was something more that I just didn't want to spend the time with the learning curve LOL. I guess thats why the engineers get the big bucks. They didn't teach 3d modeling in my systems and networking classes :D On the other hand, I have an older version (2000) that is suppose to be easier to learn than the newer versions, so I don't know what that says about my ability to learn "new tricks" either ;)

The scroll maker and other plugins were written by a forum member here. I don't know how to link to that thread but if you search for "Modeling software" it'll take you to the thread where Terry introduced his plugins.

Unfortunately if you have trouble getting them to run I can't be much help, it took me a couple hours to figure it out. I just drive this thing, I don't know what makes em go. (Oddball, "Kelly's Heros")

Frosty

SaaahWeeet!! I was going to do the same search but you beat me to it Terry :) I recently reloaded my destop and have finished putting in all the goodies. I had it on a laptop but its much more user friendly with a real mouse! :D

Thanks Frosty AND Terry :)

Scott,
I don't know if you have used any of the "For Dummies" series of books but they explain things in plain old every day language. They also have examples to try (tutorials) and throw in a little humour on the side. Sound like anyone we know?.:rolleyes:...LOL.

I have used them a few times and find them to be good primers and even some advanced work. Amazon.com has them listed for $16.49 (SketchUp 7). I really like them myself. Check them out on-line.

Terry