I Forge Iron

What grade/kind of steel is cutting edge?

CBrann

I don't know but I would guess it is AR (abrasion resistant) steel, having manganese and other alloying components such as chrome, silicon, etc. You should find it to be pretty tough stuff. I wouldn't know how to work it. I almost picked up some similar pieces(pretty irregular shape after service on a plow) but thought better of it.

If it works for you send pictures, I could use a shear in my shop.

Depends on what kind of edge you have. If it's grader blade then it's almost useless for the home smith guy. However, you have hit on one of the few really useful things you can make from it. A bar shear is easy to make but I don't know about something like a Beverly.

The stuff is almost unworkable without special tools. For instance if you wanted to grind a sharp edge on it your best bet is to heat it to red and use a stone cup on a right angle grinder. It torches well but can be pretty iffy to weld. I've had pretty good luck welding Vascowear but didn't do anything that might hurt anyone if it failed.

Something I'd like to do is match a piece to the top of a pristine ASO that was given to me and brazing or silver soldering it on for a face plate. Who knows it could work and make ASOs decent anvils.

Frosty

I also have a piece of something similar, I guess they may be different types. I was able to cut mine with a band saw. In one of the blacksmiths books it is used as a shear and a hot cut, he put a handle on it and I think he said it would cut 1/2" or more with hand pressure and if not he would hit it with a hammer.. If you can use the holes that are already there I think it would work. I have not tried to grind it yet, Maybe mine was not a grader blade? kevin

I have used cutting edge before, it has a very high working heat, narrow window, but cuts well with a torch and abrasive wheel. Very hard but also very tough. Also big hammer, or strong striker. My father made a splitting hatchet with it, broke 3 handles but still no sharpening.

I know this comes off a snow plow, I have a friend at a public works dept, these came off a plow.

I am just trying to make a shear for light to med gauge sheet steel, just something to get things near shape, not as precise as a beverly, but a beverly would be nice too.

I also have some grader blades. I would also like to know what kind of steel it is. If it is true manganese steel it should have low magnetic permiability. Manganese steel typically contains about 12% mn. It can have varying ammounts of carbon, ranging to over 1%. Manganese steel is quenched from an austenitic state and will retain the austenite. Hence, the low magnetic permiability. It work hardens and some of the solution carbon converts to cementite as a result of work hardening. There can be much more added about manganese steels.
Warren