I Forge Iron

Falling Leaves

JPH

Hello!

Well these are the first three blades off of Frankengrinder..and what a monster I created. 5 HP, 7000 SFM, 14" contact wheel... This puppy EATS steel (and fingers too, I found out... but oh well)..All three are welded cable, with my "bovine ivory" grips and bronze bolster and pommel plates with some file work to spiffy them up a bit.

Hope the photo works..

Well back to work for me...got some war hammers to finish up..

JPH

11764.attach

Edited by JPH

Bruce:

I just belly up to the beast and hold it in my hands..cuts smooth and even too!! It's just practice....that's all it is...

Boy can I ever see the difference in the grind from my old 8" wheel and my new 14" wheel....much easier to maintain the distal taper on the 14" wheel than it was on the 8" one....
JPH

ya that grinder sounds like a monster! i can see where it would be nice to have tho! will take some practice to run ime thinking.... would be easy to screw up the grind and remove too much to fix and do that right quick!! of course you have got lotsa practice grinding blades! do you use any jigs to keep the angles or is it all hand work?

Da:

It's all done the same way you get to Carnegie Hall... Practice, practice and practice, but I will admit that I did learn from the best in the world, the late Mr Robert Engnath. Besides being a true "Grinder God" he was my best friend and I miss that man every day. His "personal best" if my memory serves was to grind out 139 blades in an 10 hour day. He was also one of the finest black and white scrimshanders that ever lived..besides he was almost as demented as I am...When he died a part of my soul died with him. He was the Godfather to my three children. A really GOOD man and he is sorely missed.

No, I don't use any sort of jigs or anything..Although I do work from forgings which means my grind time is minimal, which is good cause I HATE to grind. I will be giving Frankengrinder the final phase in its testing next week when I start in on my yearly sword production. As it is right now I have cut about 1/3 of my grinding time and am getting about 50% more belt life ao I am pleased, very pleased with that...

Once you get the "feel" for it, grinding is not all that difficult, you just need to do ALOT of it and with my production rate, I do... Still I am much happier swinging a hammer than standing in front of the grinder humming "I'm Henry the 8th I am.." over and over again..or if I am in a especially patriotic mood..the "Battle Hymn of the Republic"...

JPH

ya that is one of the reasons i never got into blades in a big way... ime just not that into grinding and have never done enuf of it to get good! ile stick to s hooks and dinner bells and various plant hooks... at least cleanup is "toss it in the tumbler "! i do like makeing a blade now and then tho.. something about being able to make a blade from a chunk of steel..i am getting to where its hard to talk to the teenagers tho.. i did a sca event recently(estrella war) and had a few of the " i want to learn how to forge so i can make a sword" crowd.. they dont want to hear about the time it takes to learn .. or how inportant it is to learn how to grind...after they saw a movie where the guy made a sword .. it didnt look that hard...the ones that will lisen i tell to buy or check out from the library your books and wayne goddards 50 dollar knife.. well injoy your new tool and have fun!

Da: yeah I know the type..usually they last until they get their first burn or run their knuckles into the grinder and then they vanish, never to be heard from again...YOu really need to have that hunger to learn and accept the failures as well as the successes...And believe me I have had more than my fair share of failures...I probaly made just about every mistake a mortal man could make doing this short of blowing myself up..(at least not yet)...

It all comes down to the person actually doing it. A wise man once told me that experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.... Truer words were never uttered...

JPH