I Forge Iron

Axehead welding

Hey,
Just so you know, I'm new to the art of blacksmithing so there are ALOT of tricks i don't know about.

I'm making a wood axe using the norse way of wrapping the metal around a rod the size you want to make the eye. I cut the blade out, molded it around the rod, and now I realized" how does this thing go together?" I read that you're supposed to weld the two sides together. So my question, are you supposed to weld the entire head? I mean the inside and the edges? Or just the edges?Thanks for you're time,

Travis

Travis:

You weld the "blade" section together, and usually you insert a pice of medium or high carbon steel at the edge and weld that closed. You do NOT weld the eye...it's rather simple really...Harder to explain that it is to actually do really..

JPH

Welcome aboard Travis, glad to have you.

Yeah, both halves are welded across the entire contact surfaces, inserting a high carbon steel bit is also traditional. However you can make the entire head from HC steel like 5160 leaf spring.

If you click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it'll be easier for folk to help out. If the guys know where you are we can clue you to deals on tools, get togethers and such.

Frosty

Hey,
Just so you know, I'm new to the art of blacksmithing so there are ALOT of tricks i don't know about.

I'm making a wood axe using the norse way of wrapping the metal around a rod the size you want to make the eye. I cut the blade out, molded it around the rod, and now I realized" how does this thing go together?" I read that you're supposed to weld the two sides together. So my question, are you supposed to weld the entire head? I mean the inside and the edges? Or just the edges?Thanks for you're time,

Travis

Just to clarify, the weld isn't a weld made with a machine. Its a forge weld done in a coal or gas forge that bonds the entrire two surfaces together as one. Welding all the way around the edges with stick or mig, even inside the eye would eventually end in failure. Forge welding isn't hard once you learn the basics. Read, ask questions and listen to the answers :D and goodluck and welcome to the forum. You have taken the very best first steps in a great craft, IMHO!!