I Forge Iron

finally finsihed more or less

plans! we don't need no stinking plans! well as you can see I built it as I went along with what I had.

The freak drive was $149, and well worth it as I already had the 3 Phase motor laying around, and the variable speed is really a very nice option. YOu can polish sand sharpen what ever you want by changing the speed and belt. You can bring it down to a crawl for delicate work.

And yes it works great. I will upgrade to a 2 hp for more power when I get the chance. thanks for the interest. kevin

plans! we don't need no stinking plans! well as you can see I built it as I went along with what I had.

The freak drive was $149, and well worth it as I already had the 3 Phase motor laying around, and the variable speed is really a very nice option. YOu can polish sand sharpen what ever you want by changing the speed and belt. You can bring it down to a crawl for delicate work.

Wow, good on ya. Can you post a few more pictures to give an idea of the general layout?

What is a freak drive? Does it work with single phase?

Drives have taken a nose dived in the last three or 4 years, especially since the intro of the single phase to three phase rating. They have made the rotary phase converters obsolete for 3 hp and under. Also the problem with three phase motors has gone away for 3 hp and under. YOu can pick up 3 phase ( now anyway) for fairly cheap and use them for anything PLUS have variable speed too! 3 phase has much more torq and you can chage direction easily here.

is a site for info on them and if you have questions.

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web

southland electric has these

We can offer new surplus Cutler Hammer on the following Catalog #’s:

AF91AG0B003D 3Hp 208VAC single to three phase $200.00

AF91AG0B002D 2Hp 208VAC single to three phase $145.00

AF91BG0A001D 1Hp 120VAC single to three phase $100.00

also there is dealers electronics