I Forge Iron

Copper rose for Valentines Day

LDW

My son wanted me to help him make a rose to give to his best buddies grandmother. He did the cutting, texturing, and coloring. We heated the copper just before it melted then shoved it in the water to get the bright reds. Here is a link to the pics, maybe Glenn will post a pic to the thread, I got kicked out when I tried.
Picasa Web Albums - Lyle - Valentine rose

Very nice! I like the colors. The receipiant should be very proud to get this. Something I do when I make this copper rose is to buff the copper before I texture, then build the rose shape (I call it "blooming") the rose then take the torch with a long soft blue flame and 'brush' the petals gently with the flame to get the purples, blues, reds, and golds. (I have some in my gallery if you want to see the colors I'm talking about) This way you don't have any of the black flakes on the petal. You should be proud of your son for such great work. But of course he has had a good instructor! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Thomas Dean

Thanks fellows,Thomas your roses look great, thanks for the info. I have not gotten the coloring down yet. I have experimented a lot of ways, but have not accomplished what you have with that coloring but you have given me some encouragment.