I Forge Iron

Punched circles for candle cups?

I'm referring to the candle cup drip pan.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive source for them? I used to get them from a local scrapyard but he sold everything to another company and they hauled it all out a few months ago.
And now It looks like I'll have to have them specially made.
Before I go that route, It would be nice if someone had an alternative.

check with commercial electrical contractors - they have to make custom knockouts in large panel boxes, and may be able to save you the slugs. however, the kind of punches I'm familiar with create slugs that are bent into a "V" shape rather than flat, and have a pilot hole in the middle. They may also be painted or zinc plated depending on the boxes they use.

Jere Kirkpatrick's Valley Forge & Welding in Willets , CA has candle cups and pans. There are 4 sizes of pans ranging from 2 3/8" to 4 5/8". Their phone number is 800-367-5373. They've got a web site, too, that you could find on Google. I've gotten them from this place before, and the quality is good.
Pete

If you have access to a plasma an the proper sized stock, make a jig from pipe stock. Ex: I want, say, 3" circle. I find a piece of 4" ID pipe about 3/4" - 1" long. This is based on the 1" OD of my plaz torch; 1" + 3" = 4". Run the plaz around inside of ring over what ever material you want. With a little practice, voila! ~ perfect 3" circles :)

• 1 month later...

Here is one way Alfred Habermann had me forge candle cups. You start by upsetting the corners [these are 2"x2"x1/4"] in the first heat. Then you forge between the upsets with a ball fuller and a striker or a rounding hammer if you're by yourself. Finally hit the center with a ball fuller or rounding hammer, and it will raise the cup. No forms are needed.

12846.attach

12847.attach