I Forge Iron

Bottom Swage

This is a bottom swage I made from some scrap A-2 I found at work, it had already been drilled and cut. Funny how you see things as tools, and no longer as scrap. I just clamped the two halves together and MIG welded them to a plate. I did a forge heat treat on it to add some durability to it.

I started setting certain tools at a 45 degree angle to the hardie hole. I find this gives a more natural position at the anvil. With both hammer and stock at a 45 degree angle across the front of your body this position works better.

I gave it a coat of Blorange paint in honor of Richard Thiebeau who paints his tools some pretty colors. It is a combination of silver, blue and a spattering of Kubota orange for good measure.

11263.attach

When you wrote "Bottom Swage" as the thread subject I imagined all kinds of jokes about swaging your bottom. Now though, I see from it's shape that's exactly what you had in mind! :o

Why does it scare me when I find someone else who thinks like I do?

Nice job Jeff.

Frosty