I Forge Iron

Yavapai collage classes

Hey folks,

I spoke with the Chino Valley, AZ extention of the Yavapai Collage today about smithing classes. It seems they have had a class or two in the past but generally have not seen enough interest. As I understand the instructor came from the Skull Valley area which is a good little drive so he must have had some interest. They said they still desired to provide classes if enough folks wanted to get involved.

Question, should I contact ABANA about this or are there better ways to get others involved?

Thanks Dave

tinbender - What kind of class (beginning, intermediate blacksmith, specialty class,etc.) I for one would be interested in a beginners blacksmith class. How many do they need for a class? Are you talking about a single weekend, several weekends over a semester, etc?

Doesn't Micheal Sobrado teach a night class about blacksmithing at one of the junior colleges in AZ.

Hyme (Hi-me) used to teach classes around the Phoenix area.

I would suggest contacting the Arizona Artist Blacksmith Assn.
Doug Kluender would be a good person to contact as he is the outgoing education chair.

AABA ~ THE ARIZONA ARTIST BLACKSMITH ASSOCIATION

Thanks for the suggestions,

I do not know how many students they need have heard 12 minimum. The community collage is close, they are good folks and it is not expensive to take classes there. Also materials for the shop classes offered is said to be ridiculously inexpensive. Perhaps a good place to start for some in this economy? I take it there was only one class offered probably a beginners. The collage would't expand to a series unless they saw an interest. They have an equestrian smithing course but I don't ride'em and sure won't put their shoes on for'em :)

Dave in chino Valley, Az.

The CBA (California) club has a wacky program that involves local members going through a 3-level instruction (taught by local members) course. It's a non-profit thing, but a small fee to cover fuel is tolerated. The CBA covers the insurance for the student liability, all they need is gullible folks with a shop (me and McraigL in Kfalls) who want to give back to the trade with a couple Saturday mornings a month. The program works really well, in my opinion. Once you get the basics handled in a non-threatening environment, you can get much more out of a specialized class for money, and come back and show your local instructor what you learned.. everybody comes out good. You should ask if the AZ club is doing this, I think it's a great idea, and don't mind volunteering in my area to help it work.