I Forge Iron

Newbie from Central Illinois

ridgerunner

Just want to say hi. A couple of years ago I was mildly interested in blacksmithing. But got a little discouraged when I read about all the equipment you "had to have". Well I found this site and it has sparked an interest again. I'm more interested in knives that some of the other stuff. Anyway I look forward to reading and gaining a lot of knowledge. Thanks for this site.

let see Basic equipment is only a hammer to hit the metal with, something to get it hot, and some backing thing to hit against, all the rest are nice, but not needed.

Buy a copy of the Wayne Goddard book "the $50 knife shop" $9.95 at amazon.com It is exactly what the title says, how to get and use a running working knife shop and spending less than $50.

to get you started:
Hammer: I do not advise a nailing hammer as the face is small and too hard. $10 or less can get you a usable 2# or 3# forging hammer at a hardware store, but at a garage sale its normally $1.

Most use an anvil: But this does not have to be a brand new store bought item. This can be a chunk form the scrap yard, you don't even need to put a horn if you are doing blades. A large flat like a I beam, or square block works, and scrap yards charge less than anvil makers.

Getting metal hot can be at the simplest a hole in the ground with a pipe to put air into it to get the fuel hotter. IN the book , you will see that many have build a one brick forge, by cutting a hole through the center of a large fire brick, then using a 1 pound propane torch, to shoot fire through a small hole coming through the side. Making a small gas forge.

So far your cost is now $30 or less and you are ready to hammer away, as you sell blades, use that money to buy more toys like the rest of us. Welcome to the community of I Forge Iron. Be sure to join us Friday at 10pm EST for the live Knife chat, in our forum.

Welcome
UMBA has meetings in southern Wis but no knife events ussually
There next event is this month at Postville Blacksmith shop home of old world anvils and other things including the KA 75 hammer
UMBA Online has cheap DVDs with a lot of knife info, manly forging not grinding

Welcome aboard Ridgerunner, glad to have ya.

Steve has it right about the minimum equipment list though I'd add a couple cold chisels and some files for blade work, maybe a hack saw too.

Below are some sections of IFI that will help you get set up.

IForgeIron.com > Getting Started

IForgeIron.com > Lessons in metalworking > Lessons in Blacksmithing

IForgeIron.com > Lessons in metalworking > Lessons in Blacksmithing > LB0008 Reference material

IForgeIron.com > Forum > Archive (Look for multiple pages 2,3,4 etc at the top of page. Pack a lunch and a cold drink before you go.)

IForgeIron.com > Blacksmithing Groups

Frosty